The death toll in the Boksburg gas tanker explosion has risen to 26, according to Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi.
He also said two people are still missing.
South Africa’s health minister, Joe Phaahla on Sunday said three of the deceased were staff members at Tambo Memorial Hospital, which is located near the accident scene.
Thirty-seven people, including firefighters who were trying to extinguish the blaze, were admitted to the hospital following the blast on Saturday.
The explosion occurred when a truck carrying gas burst into flames and then exploded.
Eyewitnesses said the truck driver didn’t check the height restriction of the bridge and the gas truck was stuck under the bridge before it exploded.
The force of the blast damaged parts of the hospital and some patients were moved as a precaution.
The driver was arrested on Monday and charged with multiple counts of culpable homicide, negligent driving, negligent causing of an explosion resulting in death, and malicious damage to property.
Gauteng Police Spokesperson Brenda Muridili confirmed the arrest of the 32-year-old suspect on Sunday at a private hospital where he had been receiving medical treatment for minor injuries.
He was released on Tuesday after the court found that there wasn’t enough evidence.