ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON FRIDAY 31 DECEMBER 2021 VALID UNTIL SUNDAY 02 JANUARY 2022.
Generally, light showers fell across the country yesterday; these were coupled with lightning and thunder in most places.
However, an odd notable downpour occurred at Chivhu (50mm); this being indicative of the poor spatial distribution of the current rainfall system. Meanwhile, moisture continues to drift in through the north-western parts of the country.
FORECAST FOR NEW YEAR’S DAY, SATURDAY 01 JANUARY 2022
On the first day of the year, all areas should be mild at first becoming warm by afternoon with mostly cloudy conditions and scattered afternoon and evening thunderstorms; localized heavy rains are probable especially over Manicaland, Harare Metropolitan and all Mashonaland Provinces. Wind gusts are also expected, more so towards evening.
- Lightning and hailstorms are a major risk during this period.
- Localized heavy downpours remain probable.
- Strong winds may blow off roofs and damage property.
- Most thunderstorms occur between mid-morning and evening hours, with afternoons being peak periods.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- When thunder roars, go indoors. Stay indoors for at least 30 minutes after the thunderstorms have ended. These are precautionary measures to reduce the chances of being struck by lightning.
- Note that lightning can strike from a large distance; thus if you can hear thunder within 30 seconds of seeing lightning, then you are close enough to get struck. Go into a vehicle or a house.
- Do not ride at the back of an open vehicle or ox-drawn cart during a thunderstorm.
- Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance.
- Insure crops against adverse weather such as hailstorms.
- Be Weather-ready; always plan with the weather in mind.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 20/32)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 24/33)
- Great Zimbabwe: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 19/31)
- Nyanga: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms – 13/25)
- Vumba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 18/29)
- Matopos: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 17/29)
- Chimanimani: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 19/27)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR SUNDAY 02 JANUARY 2022
Scattered thunderstorms are expected in Manicaland, Harare Metropolitan and all Mashonaland Provinces.
It should be mild at first becoming warm by afternoon with cloudy conditions for most of the day and a north-easterly airflow.
All other areas (namely Matabeleland North, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South, Midlands and Masvingo Provinces) are anticipated to be mostly cloudy and warm with isolated afternoon thundershowers, but mild both morning and evening.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department