ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON MONDAY 24 JANUARY 2022 VALID UNTIL WEDNESDAY 26 JANUARY 2022.
It was mostly cloudy, mild and windy across much of the country with rain and drizzle. The highest falls were at Nyanga (11mm) and Zaka (8mm).
The tropical depression that was in the Mozambique Channel has been upgraded into a moderate tropical storm “ANA” before it made landfall at the coast of Mozambique and continued to move westwards.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, TUESDAY 25 JANUARY 2022;
Heavy rains (in excess 50mm) and strong winds are expected in all Mashonaland, Harare Metropolitan, Manicaland and Midlands provinces; with light rains and moderate to strong winds in all Matabeleland, Bulawayo Metropolitan and Masvingo provinces. It should be mostly cloudy and mild across the country.
- Heavy rains may reduce visibility, and induce localized flash flooding in areas with poor drainage.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream.
- Destructive winds may result in trees falling and blown-off of rooftops.
- Some dams are filled to capacity; this can cause downstream flooding should the dams overspill.
- Heavy downpours may reduce visibility and flood dangers become difficult to perceive during heavy rains.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- The public is advised to stay away from the swollen rivers and not to drive through floodwaters as just 30cm of flowing water is enough to sweep away a vehicle.
- Clearance of waterways and drainages helps reduce the impacts of heavy rains.
- Ensure rooftops are secure by checking nails that may be loose.
- Secure all loose items that are outside, where possible place them in safe storage space.
- Do not be found outdoor in thunder; lightning may lay you asunder.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Partly cloudy (Temperatures – 17/29)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with light rains (Temperatures – 19/27)
- Great Zimbabwe: Mostly cloudy with light rains (Temperatures – 15/23)
- Nyanga: Cloudy with heavy rains – 13/18)
- Vumba: Cloudy with heavy rains (Temperatures – 12/22)
- Matopos: Mostly cloudy with light rains (Temperatures – 12/23)
- Chimanimani: Cloudy with heavy rains (Temperatures – 12/19)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR WEDNESDAY 26 JANUARY 2022;
Light rains, with windy, cloudy and mild conditions are anticipated across the whole country.
Heavier falls (in excess of 50mm) are expected in parts of Manicaland and Mashonaland West provinces.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department