ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON TUESDAY 21 DECEMBER 2021 VALID UNTIL THURSDAY 23 DECEMBER 2021.
Out of the thunderstorms and rain that occurred mostly along and to the north of the main watershed; the highest falls were at Mhondoro (77 mm), Binga (73 mm) and Chakari Dalny Mine (56 mm).
Other areas had less than 25 mm, showing the sporadic nature of the current spell of heavy rains. Meanwhile, more moisture is drifting into the country from Zambia.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, WEDNESDAY 22 DECEMBER 2021:
Mostly cloudy and warm across the country, with scattered afternoon and evening thunderstorms. These storms may be coupled with strong winds, heavy downpours and hail in places. It should be mild both morning and evening.
- Cooler conditions may affect the health of certain individuals.
- Strong winds may blow off roofs and damage property.
- While rainfall is expected in most areas, the spatial rainfall distribution is very poor.
- Lightning and hailstorms are a major risk during this period.
- Mosquitoes proliferate during this season.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- When thunder roars, go indoors. Stay indoors for at least 30 minutes after the thunderstorms have
ended. These are precautionary measures to reduce the chances of being struck by lightning.
- Note that lightning can strike from a large distance; thus if you can hear thunder within 30 seconds of seeing lightning, then you are close enough to get struck. Go into a vehicle or a house.
- Insure crops against adverse weather such as hailstorms.
- Water harvesting is recommended to cater for intra-seasonal dry spells.
- Regularly check that rooftops are secured. Nails may become loose with time.
- Persons in Malaria prone areas should take necessary precautions (insecticide spraying, applying mosquito repellents, sleeping under mosquito nets).
- COVID is still a potential threat, stay safe, mask up, and get vaccinated.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 20/29)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 24/39)
- Great Zimbabwe: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 17/26)
- Nyanga: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms – 13/23)
- Vumba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 16/24)
- Matopos: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 15/24)
- Chimanimani: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms (Temperatures – 18/21)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR THURSDAY 23 DECEMBER 2021
Scattered clouds are expected with isolated afternoon thundershowers. Localized heavy rains remain probable.
It should be mild at first becoming warm by afternoon with a predominantly north-easterly airflow.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department