The weather report and forecast issued by the Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection.
ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON SUNDAY 19 JUNE 2022 VALID UNTIL TUESDAY 21 JUNE 2022.
It was cold this morning in most places with a severe, moderate and slight ground frost in Matopos, Nyanga, and Wedza respectively.
However, by afternoon mild conditions, calm winds and sunny skies prevailed over most areas. Meanwhile, winds over the southeast coast are slowly strengthening.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, MONDAY 20 JUNE 2022
Moderate ground frost is anticipated in Henderson, Gweru, Nyanga, Mukandi, Kezi and Matopos as clear skies and cold morning conditions prevail over much of the country.
It should be mild by noon becoming cold and windy towards evening, with these ushering clouds into Chiredzi, Beitbridge and Chipinge districts overnight.
- Temperature fluctuations between night and day may affect the body’s health, with common colds, influenza and fever as well as asthma being common.
- Nights, when the sky is clear, are actually much colder than those where cloudy conditions persist.
- The dry-vegetative conditions coupled with the wind factor tend to make veldt fires more rampant during this period. These can destroy vast tracts of land and property as well as pose a threat to human and animal life.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Dress appropriately to keep warm especially overnight, and ensure vulnerable members of society are warm as well.
- Crops or harvests that may be affected by rainfall should be placed in suitable locations or covered.
- Poultry producers should note that broilers are sensitive to temperature variations and therefore need to be checked regularly and adjustments made.
- Farmers in areas prone to ground frost should undertake frost prevention measures such as overhead irrigation of crops usually at night /early in the morning.
- Construct fire guards that are at least 9 meters wide and keep them free from any vegetative or combustible material.
- It is illegal to start veldt fires for any purpose, even for land clearing.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mild with Mostly clear skies – (Temperatures – 07/27)
- Kariba: Mild with Mostly clear skies – (Temperatures – 10/28)
- Great Zimbabwe: Cold at first with mostly clear skies (Temperatures – 06/25)
- Nyanga: Cold at first with mostly clear skies (Temperatures – 02/21)
- Vumba: Cold at first with mostly clear skies (Temperatures – 09/25)
- Matopos: Very cold at first with mostly clear skies (Temperatures – 01/24)
- Chimanimani: Mild by day becoming windy towards evening (Temperatures – 11/22)
OUTLOOK: WEATHER FORECAST TUESDAY, 21 JUNE 2022
Cloudy, windy and cool conditions are anticipated in Manicaland, Matabeleland South, southern districts of Midlands, Bulawayo Metropolitan and Masvingo Provinces for much of the day.
Clear skies and mild daytime conditions are expected over Matabeleland North, northern parts of the Midlands, Harare Metropolitan and all Mashonaland Provinces, though cold in the morning with a slight ground frost in areas such as Henderson, Chivhu, Gweru, Marondera and even Matopos.