ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON MONDAY 17 JANUARY 2022 VALID UNTIL WEDNESDAY 19 JANUARY 2022.
Yesterday, a fresh south-easterly airflow reduced the precipitation amounts across the country to below 10 mm for most areas except Mount Darwin (19 mm), Nkayi (17 mm) and Lupane (11 mm). These south-easterly winds are strengthening and slightly moistening.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, TUESDAY 18 JANUARY 2022:
Mostly cloudy and warm afternoon conditions coupled with thunderstorms are expected over the northern parts of Mashonaland East Province, Mashonaland Central Province, Mashonaland West Province and northern districts of Matabeleland North Province. It should be mild both morning and evening.
A cool south-easterly breeze and scattered clouds are anticipated over Harare Metropolitan, Midlands, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South, Manicaland and Masvingo Provinces, with mostly mild daytime conditions.
Brief cloudy periods and an odd shower remain probable due to remnant moisture.
- Visibility may also be compromised during heavy storms.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream
- Heavy rains may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
- Some dams (including Tokwe-Mukosi) are 100% full, this can cause downstream flooding should the dams overspill.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Do not cross flooded rivers and swollen streams whether on foot or in a vehicle as just 30cm of flowing water is enough to sweep away a vehicle.
- Avoid driving on a road covered by water especially at night or during downpours when it is more difficult to recognize flood dangers. Even if no heavy rains have occurred in your area, they may have occurred upstream
- Be Weather-ready; always plan with the weather in mind.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 18/29)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 22/31)
- Great Zimbabwe: Partly cloudy and mild (Temperatures – 16/28)
- Nyanga: Partly cloudy and mild – 12/22)
- Vumba: Partly cloudy and mild (Temperatures – 16/26)
- Matopos: Partly cloudy and mild (Temperatures – 18/26)
- Chimanimani: Partly cloudy and mild (Temperatures – 16/22)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR WEDNESDAY 19 JANUARY 2022:
Cloudy, windy and mild conditions are expected over the bulk of the country with a generally southeasterly airflow; while thunderstorms should still prevail in Manicaland, the northern parts of Mashonaland East, Mashonaland Central, Mashonaland West and northern districts of Matabeleland North, light intermittent rain is anticipated in all other areas, namely Harare Metropolitan, Midlands, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South and Masvingo Provinces.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department