The weather report and forecast issued by the Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection at 4 PM on Monday 14 November 2022 valid until Wednesday 16 November 2022:
Cloudy and warm conditions experienced over the country resulted in numerous thunderstorms yesterday.
Notable rainfalls were recorded in Nyanga (78mm), Bikita Agritex (50mm), Lupane (33mm) and Agritex Nembudziya (30mm).
The central and eastern areas of the country experienced rain in the morning.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, TUESDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2022
Matabeleland South, southern parts of Midlands, southern parts of Manicaland and Masvingo are expected to be briefly cloudy and cool in the morning, becoming less cloudy and mild in the afternoon with chances of isolated showers over high ground.
It should be cloudy and warm with scattered afternoon thundershowers in Matabeleland North, northern parts of Midlands, all Mashonaland Provinces and Harare Metropolitan Province including the northern parts of Manicaland.
- Lightning strikes are a major risk during this period; all areas have a potential risk for lightning strikes.
- Lightning can strike even when clouds are distant, this is a scientific phenomenon called lightning from the blue.
- The atmosphere is conducive for localized hailstorms and strong winds.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- If caught in the open, please avoid sheltering under isolated trees or in isolated sheds as these tend to be natural lightning conductors.
- When a thunderstorm threatens, get inside a home or large building,
- Even when lightning is seen in a distance, it might not be safe to be outdoors. The rough rule for noting the safe zone when you see lightning is the 30-30 Rule: If you see lightning and cannot count up to 30 seconds before you hear thunder, then you are not safe from the next lightning strike.
- Where possible, install lightning conductors on buildings.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR WEDNESDAY 16 NOVEMBER 2022
All Mashonaland Provinces, Harare Metropolitan Province and north of Manicaland should be cloudy and warm with scattered thunderstorms. It should be mild in the morning.
All other areas (all Matabeleland Provinces, Bulawayo Metropolitan Province, Midlands and Masvingo including south of Manicaland ) are expected to be mostly sunny however brief cloudy periods and an odd shower remain probable due to remnant moisture. Mild in the morning becoming warm later.