ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON THURSDAY 13 JANUARY 2022 VALID UNTIL SATURDAY 15 JANUARY 2022.
The unstable atmospheric conditions across the country resulted in scattered thunderstorms with heavy falls in places.
Hence, some of the notable rainfall figures measured this morning were at Chivhu (89mm), Nyakomba Agritex (79mm), Centenary Agritex (55mm), Bindura (49mm), Wedza (47mm), Mukandi (43mm), Joshua Nkomo Airport (36mm), Murehwa Agritex (36mm), Nyamaropa (33mm), Beitbridge (22mm) and Victoria falls (21mm). The moisture content in the atmosphere is still high.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, FRIDAY 14 JANUARY 2022:
Matabeleland North, Bulawayo Metropolitan, northern areas of the Midlands, Harare Metropolitan and all Mashonaland provinces expect mostly cloudy and humid with scattered thunderstorms and rain.
Localized heavy rains are probable in places along and to the north of the main watershed.
The provinces of Masvingo, southern areas of Midlands, Matabeleland South and Manicaland should be cool at first, becoming warmer by afternoon with sunny breaks, and isolated thunderstorms and rain.
- Visibility may also be compromised during heavy downpours.
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream
- Heavy downpours may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Avoid crossing flooded rivers and swollen streams whether on foot or in a vehicle.
- Avoid driving on a road covered by water especially at night when it is more difficult to recognize flood dangers.
- The public is advised to stay away from swollen rivers and not to drive through floodwaters as just 30cm of flowing water is enough to sweep away a vehicle.
- Clearance of waterways and drainages, ahead of time, helps reduce the impacts of heavy rains.
- Be Weather-ready; always plan with the weather in mind.
FORECAST OF TOMORROW’S WEATHER IN HOLIDAY RESORTS
- Victoria Falls: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 19/26)
- Kariba: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain (Temperatures – 23/32)
- Great Zimbabwe: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 19/29)
- Nyanga: Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain – 13/26)
- Vumba: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 18/27)
- Matopos: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 17/28)
- Chimanimani: Partly cloudy with thundershowers (Temperatures – 16/26)
WEATHER FORECAST FOR SATURDAY 15 JANUARY 2022:
It should be cloudy and warm with scattered thunderstorms and rain over Harare Metropolitan, southern parts of Manicaland, Midlands, Matabeleland North and all Mashonaland Provinces. Localised heavier falls are likely over high grounds. Mild morning conditions are expected, becoming warm by the afternoon.
Brief cloudy and warm conditions with isolated thundershowers are expected over Bulawayo Metropolitan, Matabeleland South, Masvingo and southern parts of Manicaland. Mild morning and evening conditions are anticipated.
PRODUCED BY: The Meteorological Services Department