The Meteorological Services Department in conjunction with the Department of Civil Protection reported that there was thunder in some parts of the country. In a report and forecast seen by Pindula News, MSD said Thursday should be hot. We present the forecast which is valid until Wednesday 28 December 2022:
ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS WEDNESDAY 28 DECEMBER 2022 VALID UNTIL FRIDAY 30 DECEMBER 2022.
There was thunder in Mutoko, Mashonaland East yesterday, signalling the slow approach of the Inter- Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ). However, today morning started off with clear skies and mild conditions but became rapidly much warmer leading to hot conditions by noon.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW, THURSDAY 29 DECEMBER 2022
Mostly clear skies and mild morning conditions are expected countrywide. It should be hot in the afternoon, becoming mild towards evening. Brief cloudy periods and thundershowers remain probable over Mbire, Muzarabani and Hurungwe districts, especially towards evening.
• Hot daytime conditions may lead to dehydration
• High afternoon temperatures may lead to increased evapotranspiration
• Mosquitoes proliferate during this season.
• Lightning strikes remain a threat to humans and livestock, as well as infrastructure.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
• Keep hydrated during the day by drinking adequate amounts of water.
• Avoid staying in the sun between 11.00 and 15.00 hours when it is hottest.
• If possible, wear sunscreen or/and a sunhat when engaged in outdoor activities.
• Where moisture stress is noted in plants, irrigation might be necessary. This need is reduced in plots where Pfumvudza/Intwasa was practised.
• Be Weather-ready and climate-smart; always plan with the weather in mind.
• Persons in Malaria prone areas should take necessary precautions (insecticide spraying, applying mosquito repellents, sleeping under mosquito nets).
• Ensure areas that store stagnated water are eliminated or reduced, these tend to be breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Where elimination is not possible, the ponds can be treated to reduce the proliferation of these vectors.
• When thunder roars it is best to the indoors!
Isolated thunderstorms are anticipated in areas such as Matabeleland North, Midlands, Harare Metropolitan, Manicaland and all Mashonaland Provinces. It should be mostly cloudy and hot by afternoon, becoming mild towards evening. Provinces such as Masvingo, Matabeleland South and Bulawayo Metropolitan are anticipated to have mostly clear skies, windy and mild conditions at first, becoming cloudier and warm by afternoon, with an odd shower that might be thundery in places.