The Meteorological Services Department (MSD) has warned that the country will likely receive intermittent heavy rains starting this Friday until Wednesday the 24th of November. Pindula News presents MSD’s announcement.
Moisture is drifting into the country from Botswana through Matabeleland North and Matabeleland South Provinces. This coupled with the high temperatures over much of the country should result in thunderstorms which may be violent in places (coupled with strong winds, lightning, hail and heavy rains in some places). This is normal for this time of the year, especially in a season that is expected to have normal to above-normal rains (see insert small map, with a long term mean for OND).
INTERMITTENT HEAVY RAINS
MAIN WATERSHED & EASTERN HIGHLAND
FRIDAY 19 TILL WEDNESDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2021
WATCH OUT FOR:
• Lightning and strong winds.
• Localized heavy rains (in excess of 30 mm) and Hailstorms in some places
• Blown off rooftops, loose debris and fallen trees due to strong winds.
• Open drains and potholes that may be covered with water
WHAT TO DO:
• When thunder roars it is best to be indoors
• Avoid travelling in an open truck, being in the open field or under trees.
• If you urgently need to travel, take caution on the roads as roads may be slippery, and contain hidden dangers covered by water, including fallen trees, utility poles and live wires.