The vaccination exercise against measles in Mutasa is now at 93 per cent, Mutasa District Medical Officer, Dr Cephas Fonte has said.
The programme for mass vaccination against measles is targeting children from six months to 15 years.
Fonte told reporters on Tuesday that as of 7 June 2022, a total of 361 cases had been recorded, of which 289 were not vaccinated.
He also revealed that 38 deaths have been recorded, all of whom were not vaccinated. Said Fonte:
As of yesterday (Tuesday), 361 cases of measles had been recorded and 289 were from unvaccinated people.
38 deaths have been recorded so far and they were all among children who were not vaccinated.
In terms of the vaccination campaign which we are currently carrying out, we are now at 93 per cent coverage as we have managed to vaccinate 72 044 against a target of 74 604.
We are encouraging everyone to heed the call for vaccination and treatment against measles by taking their children for inoculation at our centres which we are offering for free.
Significant inroads have so far been made in the exercise and some religious sects have responded well.
Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus and it is normally passed through direct contact and through the air.
The virus infects the respiratory tract and then spreads throughout the body.