The Meteorological Services Department (MSD) of Zimbabwe has forecasted strong winds and heavy rains with a chance of flooding in some parts of Zimbabwe this week.
In a weather report and forecast seen by Pindula News, the Met Department said thunderstorms with rain should prevail throughout the country. Reads the weather update:
ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS TUESDAY 14 FEBRUARY 2023 VALID UNTIL THURSDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2023.
Widespread thunderstorms occurred across the country with a notable increase in precipitation amounts in places. The highest amounts were measured at Kariba (63mm), Bulawayo (59mm) and Chisengu (54mm). Other significant amounts above 25mm were at Nyanga (44mm), Mutare (40mm), Zvishavane (39mm), Buhera (33mm), Gweru (31mm) and Hwedza (30mm). Rainfall amounts measured in the remaining places were below 25mm.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW WEDNESDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2023:
Numerous afternoon and evening thunderstorms are expected countrywide. Localized heavy downpours remain probable in some places, especially in Matabeleland North and Mashonaland East as well as Manicaland Province. Thunderstorms are mainly associated with strong winds hence wind gusts are probable in places.
• Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream
• Heavy downpours may give rise to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
• Lightning is a major threat during this part of the year, being inherent in thundershowers.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
• Avoid crossing rivers or streams of unknown depth; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, it might have done so upstream;
• Heavy rains may reduce visibility; if driving, please find somewhere safe to park till the rains subside.
• Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance. Umbrellas are not safe during storms, and raincoats are better, however, staying indoors is the best of all.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR THURSDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2023
Thunderstorms with rain should prevail throughout the country. Strong winds and heavy rains with a chance of flooding should be expected in some places. Mild morning and warm afternoon conditions are anticipated across the country.