The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has announced the death of a man who was electrocuted while tampering with equipment belonging to the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority (ZESA).
In a statement, seen by Pindula News, police said the man died while admitted to Mpilo Hospital in Bulawayo. We present the statement below:
The ZRP reports a fire incident which occurred at ZESA sub-station along Khami Road, Bulawayo on 08/03/22 at about 0100 hours, where a man (40) was electrocuted while tampering with ZESA equipment.
An explosion was herd at the substation before the suspect cried for help while flames were engulfing the site. The Fire Brigade later extinguished the fire and the suspect was taken to Mpilo Hospital where he later died.
ZESA has in the past reported that some of the power cuts across the country are being caused by vandalism to its properties including transformers and cables.
Thieves take cables and oil in transformers and sell them for a song.
Reports of people who died while tampering with ZESA equipment have been on the rise. In some cases, ZESA employees were implicated.