This position will manage and lead a team of staff in allocating workload and managing the day to day operations in the workshop. It requires the job holder to co-ordinate resources and liaise with internal and external key contacts to. ensure work is delivered on time and to a quality standard. The incumbent will be reporting to the Director, Agro- Industrial Park and will oversee daily workshop activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for job allocation and job flow in the workshop including job scheduling and labour allocation for day to day operations.
- Co-ordinate resources, (operational and human) schedules and activities to effectively manage jobs.
- Assist with quoting, project management, materials purchasing and quality checks.
- Regularly report progress on each job and quickly communicate delays or concerns with the Production Managd.
- Act as a technical adviser on key projects i.e. providing technical guidance to maintenance teams.
- Develop and implement systems to record, file and store information pertaining to Workshop activities and enquiries.
- Identify staff that require on-going training and implement training opportunities to ensure their skills are improved.
- Work with apprentices, trainee- managers and semi-skilled staff to role model appropriate technical skills.
- Provide feedback to staff that are not performing to the expected level and ensure Human resources are informed of trends in performance.
- Promote a Health and Safety culture within the business.
- Create improvement plans for maintenance processes.
- Ensure Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) policies, procedures and regulations are followed.
- Manage workshop's performance in achieving Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Review audits on maintenance, repair and overhaul operations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Possession of a relevant Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Mechanical Engineering.
- Apprenticeship training will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years working experience as a workshop manager or supervisor.
- Knowledge of electrical vehicle repairs and servicing is a distinct advantage.
- Clean class 4 drivers' licence.
- Strong work planning and problem solving skills.
- A strong commitment to all health and safety guidelines.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit six (6) copies of applications. Each set of application must be accompanied by a Curriculum Vitae, giving full particulars including full name; place, date of birth, I.D, birth certificate and copies of academic and professional qualifications, all certified. Applicants must give information on experience, date of availability, telephone numbers, names and addresses of three contactable referees. Applications should be hand delivered to Office No. 113, Administration Building at the University of Zimbabwe or posted to:
DEPUTY REGISTRAR, HUMAN RESOURCES
University of Zimbabwe
P O. Box MP167
NB: The University of Zimbabwe is an equal opportunity employer and therefore men and women are equally encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 10 March 2023.