Reports to: Head of Programs and National Director
Contract length: 14 months
Apostolic Women Empowerment Trust is a non-Governmental registered organization that empowers women and adolescents’ girls in the Apostolic churches to participate in social and economic development processes that affect them as well as advance their rights and those of others.
The Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Program Manager (PM) is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene programs at all stages of the project management cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the program objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints
Duties And Responsibilities
Roles and responsibilities
- Manage the assigned WASH and Infrastructure project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposal(s).
- The WASH Manager has a vital role to play in community mobilization as well as access to safe water and sanitation for the target population.
- The role also includes enhancing beneficiary participation, managing, and training local staff, implementing control and quality procedures in cooperation with the MEAL Manager, WASH Advisor, and the National Coordinator.
- As well as assessing, planning, and initiating new infrastructure and WASH projects / proposals.
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision, and support of the assigned infrastructure and/or WASH project(s) as well as providing support to the WASH Advisor in developing new standards;
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructure structures, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place especially helping to involve more the local communities drawing on similar experience in WASH projects, namely helping to improve the current committees’ setup;
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to the field managers;
- Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation of the infrastructure WASH programme;
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability (BA) in all aspects of the project;
- Help integrate beneficiary participation into the existing project(s) framework: committees, random selection of casual labourer for interview and help develop new ways in integrating BA into infrastructure project(s);
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and / or donor proposals; Support the WASH Advisor in analyzing former infrastructure and WASH projects and budgets.
- Manage and oversee the assigned team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals etc; Hold monthly team meetings with the assigned team(s), reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback;
- Promote the health and security of the team(s) by providing support to the Project Field Officer and to the WASH Advisor in developing security and safety guidelines in the workplace;
- On occasions work with casual labour or other AWET staff (including hiring, co-ordinating workload and payment) to achieve specific, time-bound tasks.
- Work with the finance department to plan, develop and manage budgets for the assigned project(s);
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned team(s), ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication and coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent, and supportive communication structures with the assigned team(s), AWET managers and advisors and other stakeholders;
- Represent AWET at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, and other NGOs.
- Manage the correct procurement of all necessary Infrastructure, WASH supplies and equipment for the assigned activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored & distributed correctly;
- Ensure the careful use, regular servicing and appropriate replacement of all equipment, within budgetary constraints, for the assigned project(s).
- Ensuring that all standardized formats and guidelines are used;
- Implement policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international (e.g. Sphere) standards, donor guidelines and other good practice.
Additional job responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualifications And Experience
Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation;
Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field; Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies, and local authorities; Good report writing skills. Problem solving ability; Ability and willingness to manage project implementation; Technical WASH skills within a humanitarian setting.
How To Apply
Interested applicants send their CVs and motivational letters demonstrating why you are suitable for the position to AWET by the 11 March 2022 at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position being applied for on the subject line. Females are encouraged to apply.