The Council of Manicaland State University of Applied Sciences invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the post of librarian that has arisen at the University.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the Librarian will be responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction and oversees the development and implementation of the University's overall strategic goal in the area of library services and resources in support of the University's mandate in teaching and learning, research, community engagement, innovation and industrialiSation. Subject to the directions of the Senate and the Vice-Chanceltor, the Librarian shall be responsible for the administration and safe-guarding of the libraries of the University as provided for in the Manicaland State University of Applied Sciences Act (Chapter 25:31). The Librarian is part of the Executive Management Team of the University and plays a key role in the strategic planning and decision-making process in the Institution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the development, implementation and evaluation Of the library's strategic plans, programmes, andservices in support of the university mission and goals.
- Initiates and oversees the development, interpretation, communication and implementation of library policies and procedures.
- Ensuring adherente to Library policies and procedures.
- Developing suitable training material on relevant library services including e-library and electronic and print Media to meet the ever changing taste of library users.
- Coordinating the budget preparation process and extending fiscal control over approved library budgets.
- Managing and leading Library staff by coordinating and evaluating their performance on an annual basis including instituting professional development opportunities.
- Serving as an ambassador of the Library by developing partrierships and links with other Libraries nationally through the Zimbabwe Universities Library Consortium (ZULC), regionally and internationally.
- Ensures that the Library has adequate and relevant books and other reading materials and examines book reviews: publishers' catalogues and other selection tools in order to recommend information resources to be added to the collection.
- Ensures the selection, acquisition and installation of appropriate hardware and software for the library system and Id initiates the development and maintenance of the library website.
- Ensures the dissemination of information on new products and.seniices through intranet and the library website.
- Oversees the, maintenancd of physical infrastructure.
- Ensures prudent utilisation of financial and physical resources; mobilises financial resources for the Library by adopting strategies or initiativesforgenerating and attracting revenue from internat, and external sources.
- Supervises subordinate staff and ensures that performance appraisal is conducted for all staff in the Library.
- Ensures preparation of quarterly and annual performance reports.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with academic staff, students and external bodies.
- Actively participating in working groups and attending University Committees such as Senate and Library Committee.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants must be a holder of a Bachelor's Degree in Library and Information Science or a related degree /or Its equivalent.
- A holder of at least a relevant Masters' Degree and/equivalent professional qualification in Library and Information Science or other related relevarlt field.
- A PhD qualification in that field will be an added advantage.
- At least ten (10) years' relevant experience of which five (5) years should be at Senior Management level with a significant part in a higher education institution or organization. Relevant pradtical experience with information communication technologies (ICTs) and their application in library systems.
- Have knowledge and understanding of the academic business of the University.
- Be self-motivated, dedicated and highly responsible, strong moral character and integrity to handle 'confidential records in compliance with institutional policies.
- A demonstrable ability to communicate readily and effectively at all levels with a wide variety of stakeholders of different backgrounds, ages, beliefs, both within the University and outside;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with University departments and cross fuoctipnal tearris; and Demonstrable competency in relevant Information Management Systems.
Competencies and Attributes
- Candidate should have demonstrable leadership skills, he/she should be reliable, dedicated, self-motivated, proactive and innovative
- He/she should be a team player with proven ability to communicate effectively.
- He/she should have excellentwriting skills which enables him/her lowrite reports'and miriufes cif proceedings of high profile meetings; and Candidate should have sound knowledge of public library ICT systems.
Remuneration And Condition Of Service: Medical Aid, Leave and Pension Benefits are offered. The information on salary and other benefits will be Made available to shortlisted candidates. All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons should submit eight (8) sets of the applications consisting of the application.letter, certified copies of birth and academic certificates, 1.0 as well as a Curriculum Vitae- giving full personal particulars including full names, place and dote of birth, qualifications, experience, present salary, date of availability, contact details, names and email addresses of three (3) contac table referees.
Applications, clearly marked University Librarian Post on the envelope, should be addressed to:
Chairman of Council
c/o Vice Chancellor,
Manicaland State University of Applied Sciences
P. Bag 7001
Deadline: 31 March 2023