The Southern Africa Development Community Secretariat (SADC) is seeking to recruit highly motivated and experienced professionals who are citizens of Member States of the SADC to fill the following regional positions to its Organization Structure.
Translator - Portuguese – Job Grade 6
Purpose of the job:
- Translate written texts and materials required by the Secretariat, with Portuguese being language A, and English language B.
- This position reports to the Senior Translator
Duties and Responsibilities
- Check original texts and discuss with originators/source of documents to understand translation requirements as well as the content and meaning of original texts
- Use appropriate computer assisted translation (CAT) tools / applications, especially Trados
- Translate and align SADC official documents into specified target languages (English or Portuguese)
- Refer to relevant reference materials (dictionaries, online terminology databases, etc.) as and when needed to ensure accuracy of translations
- Ensure that translations retain the content and meaning of original documents
- Revise and double-check translations of technical terms and terminology
- Prepare and continuously update a glossary/database of technical terminology used in translations, and make reference to it in future translations
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials before submission to the next level of review
- Produce and maintain folders of translated documents
- Interact with internal clients to ensure satisfaction and understanding
- Continuously increase specialist vocabulary both in English and the target language (Portuguese) in order to effectively undertake translation assignments
- Upload and maintain a record of all translated material in the Unit’s Shared Folder
- Perform any other translation-related duties as may be assigned by the supervising officer
Qualifications And Experience
- At least a Degree in Languages, Translation/Interpreting or related field from a recognised institution.
- Certification in Translation
- Trados certification will be an added advantage
- Knowledge and fluency of Portuguese as language A and English as language B. The knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Working knowledge of the key terminology used in SADC
- Proficient in the use of computers and computer software relevant to the Position, especially Trados.
- At least 5-7 years’ work experience in translation
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Networking and relationship building skills
- Organisational skills (planning, time management, work priorisation)
- Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to deadlines
- Compliance with rules, regulations, processes and procedures
- Conceptual and practical thinking
- Customer focused
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and without much close supervision
- Be flexible and adaptable to change
- Maintain confidentiality and be respectful of sensitive situations
- Methodical and organised, with a high level of attention to details
- Professionalism and adherence to good work ethics (integrity, dependability, punctuality, etc.)
- Willingness to learn and improve on a continual basis
- Resilience and personal drive, self-motivation
- Results and performance driven
- Team player
How To Apply
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
- Are 50 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
- Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Closing Date and Submission of Applications: Applications must be submitted to the SADC National Contact Point https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/national-contact-points / of the eligible Member States not later than or on 23 May 2022.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
- A cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position
- Not more than five (5) pages updated curriculum vitae;
- Certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
- Duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details on the position that you want to apply for, job profiles and SADC Application Form, refer to the SADC Website: www.sadc.int
Details can also be obtained from the National Contact Point in your respective country.