Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the above-mentioned post that has arisen in the University.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent would be expected to head the Digital Support section of the library and will be responsible for administering library housekeeping systems, information databases and related quality control of all electronic information resources, and developing and maintaining library IT facilities for both library staff workflow procedures and library clients’ information service delivery, by:
- Spearheading the expansion of Library Systems by keeping abreast of the latest advances in the area and mastery of core applications.
- Actively participating in Library administration activities and assigned tasks.
- Administering the Integrated Library Management System.
- Administering Digital Library systems; content development, access facilities and Policy.
- Back-end and front-end management of electronic information resources, including creating coverage databases and metadata for electronic information resources.
- Developing strong relationships with library liaisons, faculty and academic departments to build institutional repository content.
- Providing a maintained Institutional Repository of electronic information in a greater visibility and accessibility format.
- Developing an educational multimedia library collection that supports the teaching, learning and research activities of the university, including actively gathering, packaging, indexing and providing access facilities.
- Documenting Library systems procedures, planning for and developing updated data recovery procedures.
- Providing effective management of Library computer hardware, equipment and software installations and operations through the administration of the Library Systems Office.
- Maintaining Library web page content in liaison with the Deputy Librarian.
- Conducting Library IT and eResources user needs surveys and reports.
- Coordinating the expansion of eResources access to the University community.
- Other related duties as assigned by the University Librarian and or the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- The ideal candidate must have a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (or a Master’s degree in Computer Science/Information Systems, and a Bachelor of Science degree in Library and Information Science) plus five (5) years’ experience in an academic library, of which two (2) years must be in Library Systems environment.
- Practical administration of KOHA ILMS, DSpace and other digital library systems is a must.
- In addition, applicants must have five (5) Ordinary level passes including English Language.
- Applicants should be mature, reliable, responsible, have a flexible attitude, able to perform under pressure, have commitment to quality and a thorough approach to the work.
- In addition, applicants should possess superior interpersonal and communication skills.
How to Apply
To apply, visit careers on the Great Zimbabwe University website: http://elearning.gzu.ac.zw/careers/ Applicants are urged to fill in all the necessary fields on the application platform and attach the required documents.
Deadline: 07 January 2023.