The Southern Africa Development Community Secretariat (SADC) is seeking to recruit highly motivated and experienced professionals who are citizens of Member States of the SADC to fill the following regional positions to its Organization Structure.
Senior Officer – Learning, Development and Performance Management – Job Grade 4
Purpose of the job:
- Plan, coordinate and manage the following HR operations: performance management, learning and development, change management, organizational design, employee engagement, succession management
- Support senior management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions in the areas of performance management, learning and development, change management, organizational design, employee engagement, succession management
- Manage the efforts and performance of the team
Duties And Responsibilities
- Guide the implementation of performance management system that creates a large performance creative within the Secretariat
- Oversee the development and implementation of core competencies, core values, and key performance measures for the PMS
- Develop and communicate the PMS framework and goals, and ensure organisation-wide understanding, buy-in and consistency in the application of the PMS
- Coordinate the development and periodic review of the PMS implementation manuals and tools
- Conduct presentations and training to management and staff on the PMS
- Ensure alignment of the PMS with the organisational goals and strategies
- Prepare analytic reports on performance results at organisational, directorate and unit levels, in liaison with PPRM Directorate
- Initiate and make recommendations for the adoption of performance related reward interventions to improve productivity and employee morale
- Identify employees with high potential and develop interventions for their retention
- Provide on-going oversight and support to ensure that performance measures are being used effectively
- Monitor the effectiveness of the PMS in enhancing productivity and rewarding performance through annual PMS audits
- Coordinate with ICT unit or external service providers the design of an appropriate IT infrastructure to support the PMS
Learning and Development
- Facilitate organizational training needs assessments based on core competencies, performance related, succession, talent retention
- Manage and coordinate the preparation and implementation of learning and development plans based on training needs and priorities
- Coordinate and validate regional and local surveys of training providers, based on appropriate criteria i.e. supply, price etc. and recommend the adoption of supplier list of reputable providers
- Negotiate partnerships with training providers and funding partners
- Coordinate and facilitate the implementation of structured training and development for the SADC Secretariat staff
- Supervise the conduct of post training evaluations
- Carry out employee induction training programme for new employees
- Develop and maintain a Code of Conduct and Ethics for the Secretariat
- Facilitate organizational change and transformation within the Secretariat
- Create an environment conducive to high motivation, engagement, productivity and excellence
- Inculcate the desired corporate culture among staff
- Assess and improve the effectiveness of the HR function
- Develop employee engagement strategies and interventions for the Secretariat
- Conduct employee engagement surveys and facilitate implementation of appropriate recommendations.
- Conduct policy review, research and adopt best practices in own area of work, and maintain high level of knowledge and exposure
- Provide advisory services on all aspects of the unit
- Carry out organisational design and reviews as appropriate
- Conduct organisational structure reviews and updates in line with the SADC RISDP
- Conduct Job Evaluation reviews and updates provided by policy and organisational changes
- Manage the organisation’s Job Evaluation system and ensure its regular review, updates and relevance.
Management of the unit
- Develop, update and implement policies, strategies, processes, systems and procedures for the effective delivery of the unit’s objectives
- Participate in formulation of the Corporate Strategy
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the unit, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance on a regular basis
- Manage the delegated unit budget to ensure optimal use
- Achieve the mission, goals and objectives of the unit, and report progress to the Head
- Ensure team compliance with all relevant Secretariat values, policies and standards, and statutory requirements
- Research and adopt best practices in own area of work, and maintain high level of knowledge and exposure
- Undertake any other duties as delegated by the Head
Qualifications And Experience
- At least a Master’s Degree in Human Resource Management or related qualification from a recognised institution
- Membership of a recognised HR professional organisation
- Specialisation in PMS, training and development, change management, and or organisational design preferred
- Knowledge of labour laws, training laws and general legislations in Botswana
- Knowledge of best practices in HR policies, procedures, processes and strategies
- Proficient in the use of computer packages (Microsoft Office suite) and computer software relevant to the position
- At least 10-15 years’ professional experience in human resource management, preferably within a public or private sector, regional or international organization
- This includes a minimum of 4 years in a line management position with experience in budgeting, policy development, advisory services, employee performance, training
- Communication and presentation skills
- Conflict management skills
- Decision-making skills
- International relations skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Negotiation, persuasion, advocacy, networking, relationship building and stakeholder management skills
- Organisational skills (planning, budgeting, work prioritisation, time management)
- Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strategy and policy development skills
- Team building skills
- Report writing skills
- Analytical skills
- Stress tolerance
- Conceptual and practical thinking
- Customer focused
- Methodical and organized
- Question conventional approaches and encourage new ideas and innovations for progress
- Results and performance driven
- Team Work
How To Apply
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
- Are 50 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
- Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Closing Date and Submission of Applications: Applications must be submitted to the SADC National Contact Point https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/national-contact-points / of the eligible Member States not later than or on 23 May 2022.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
- A cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position
- Not more than five (5) pages updated curriculum vitae;
- Certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
- Duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details on the position that you want to apply for, job profiles and SADC Application Form, refer to the SADC Website: www.sadc.int
Details can also be obtained from the National Contact Point in your respective country.