The Southern Africa Development Community Secretariat (SADC) is seeking to recruit highly motivated and experienced professionals who are citizens of Member States of the SADC to fill the following regional positions to its Organization Structure.
Senior Officer - Internal Audit – Job Grade 4
Purpose of the job:
- Plan, coordinate, manage and direct the Internal Audit functions of the Secretariat
- Plan and execute internal audit, special investigation, inspection, monitoring and evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal control, financial management, accounting, administrative, data quality, computing and other operational activities of the SADC Secretariat
- Adopt a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve risk management, internal control systems and administrative processes compliant with relevant statutes, directives, guidelines, policies and governance standards.
- Provide the Audit Committee and Management with an independent and objective assurance regarding good corporate governance
- Quality review of the work of Internal Auditors including audit planning, field work, reporting and documentation.
- Manage the efforts and performance of the internal audit team
Duties And Responsibilities
- Facilitate meetings with other directorates and units to determine the audit scope, auditable activities and design detailed plans
- Prepare comprehensive risk based audit programme covering inspection and operational audits at the Secretariat and submit to Director for approval
- Define the scope for operational, information technologies and financial audit projects and select/develop appropriate audit steps necessary to promote effective audit coverage and delivery of risk assessment and internal audit services and solutions
- Focal person for the directorate of Internal Audit and Risk Management on issues of planning and budgeting, and quarterly reporting on internal audit budget utilisation
- Lead the development of internal control policies, processes and systems for effective governance
- Implement the annual audit programme to ensure an effective control environment in all operational, financial and systems environment of the Secretariat
- Organise and undertake special assignments as assigned by the Director, including investigation of fraud or other irregularities (forensics), and report to Director outcomes of such assignments
- Recommend way of improving the economy, efficiency and effectiveness of operations based upon findings from an impartial and objective examination.
- Review audit reports, and present recommendations and conclusions of audit reviews to the Director.
- Identify and analyse risks that may hinder the achievement of the Secretariat’s objectives and recommend how those risks should be addressed through proper internal control systems and procedures
- Analyse effectiveness and efficiency of operational and management processes and system controls
- Report any weaknesses in internal controls and processes to the Director, and participate in the development of new systems to ensure that efficient and effective controls are incorporated
- Oversee and monitor progress in the implementation of audit recommendations through follow up audits to ensure that proper corrective actions are taken.
- Provide periodic reporting on the status of implementation to the ES Ensure adherence to international audit standards
- Coordinate with and support the activities of the external auditors
- Provide support to the Audit Committee
Management of the unit
- Develop, update and implement policies, strategies, processes, systems and procedures for the effective delivery of the unit’s objectives
- Participate in formulation of the Corporate Strategy
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the unit, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance on a regular basis
- Manage the delegated unit budget to ensure optimal use
- Achieve the mission, goals and objectives of the unit, and report progress to the Head
- Ensure team compliance with all relevant Secretariat values, policies and standards, and statutory requirements
- Work towards building a positive workplace and team culture, and a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel
- Plan the unit’s activity and maintain direct oversight on its operations and the staff in terms of (a) work scheduling, (b)estimating resource and staffing needs, (c) allocating and delegating tasks, and (d) recruiting, training, developing, supporting, supervising, mentoring, motivating and appraising staff
- Research and adopt best practices in own area of work, and maintain high level of knowledge in order to effectively undertake the duties of the post
- Undertake any other duties as delegated by the Director.
Qualifications And Experience
- Professional qualification (e.g. CPA, ACCA, ACA, CA, Masters in Finance, Accounting, Management etc.) from a recognised institution
- Professional Certification in Auditing
- Must also be a Certified Internal Auditor and a member of a recognized institute / association of internal auditors is desirable
- Knowledge in Auditing standards, techniques, activities, and processes
- Knowledge in Risk management and risk assessment
- Knowledge in accounting and financial rules, laws, standards, and practices
- Knowledge in Fraud investigation and detection criteria and strategies
- Proficient in the use of computers and computer software relevant to the position
- At least 10-15 years audit experience post-qualification with proven knowledge in the development of a strong control environment and/or a risk assessment background
- Experience in conducting or supervising all types of audits (operational, performance, financial and IT), preferably in a regional organisation
- This includes a minimum of 4 years in a line management position
- Communication and presentation skills
- Conflict management skills
- Decision-making skills
- International relations skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Negotiation, persuasion, advocacy, networking, relationship building and stakeholder management skills
- Organisational skills (planning, budgeting, work prioritisation, time management)
- Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strategy and policy development skills
- Team building skills
- Ability to work well in a multi-cultural and highly political environment (internal and external)
- Apply interpersonal styles/methods to develop, motivate and empower individuals toward achievement of goals
- Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to deadlines
- Capacity to motivate and influence people positively, and create a climate where people want to do their best
- Conceptual and practical thinking
- Customer focused
- Organisational awareness with an understanding of how to engage the organisation to get things done
- Maintain confidentiality and is respectful of sensitive situations
- Methodical and organised, and able to look at the big picture without losing the attention to details
- Professionalism and adherence to good work ethics
- Question status quo / conventional approaches and encourage new ideas and innovations for progress
- Resilience and personal drive, self-motivation
- Results and performance driven
- Visionary, thinks and acts strategically
How To Apply
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
- Are 50 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
- Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Closing Date and Submission of Applications: Applications must be submitted to the SADC National Contact Point https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/national-contact-points / of the eligible Member States not later than or on 23 May 2022.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
- A cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position
- Not more than five (5) pages updated curriculum vitae;
- Certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
- Duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details on the position that you want to apply for, job profiles and SADC Application Form, refer to the SADC Website: www.sadc.int
Details can also be obtained from the National Contact Point in your respective country.