The above-mentioned vacancy has arisen in the Ministry of Health and Child Care under the Global Fund HIV, Tuberculosis (TB) and Malaria grants. Applications are therefore being invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the post. Reports to Chief Medical Laboratory Scientist
The basis of an effective TB programme is a sound network of laboratory diagnostic services which provide quality assured diagnosis. The Medical laboratory scientist is expected to provide high quality technical skills in carrying out the full spectrum of TB diagnosis from smear microscopy, Xpert MTB/Rif testing, Line Probe Assay to conventional culture and drug sensitivity testing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs smear microscopy, Xpert MTB/Rif testing, line probe assay, culture and drug susceptibility testing at NMRL TB laboratory, Sally Mugabe Hospital.
- Supervises junior laboratory staff in the departments at NMRL Laboratory.
- Validates and checks all results done by junior laboratory staff.
- On bench teaching of junior members of staff including demonstration of how certain processes must be done.
- Assists the Chief Medical Laboratory Scientist in developing and implementing internal and external quality control protocols.
- Perform preventative maintenance on essential equipment.
- Prepares reagents and culture media.
- Contributes in the national TB smear microscopy smear quality control programme.
- Prepare monthly statistical laboratory reports.
- Assists Chief Medical Laboratory Scientist in running national drug resistance surveys.
Qualifications and Experience
- Honours degree in Medical Laboratory Science(HBLMS) or Specialist Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences from a reputable University.
- Post-graduate training in Public Health, Clinical Epidemiology or Microbiology is an added advantage.
Experience and skills
- 3 years post qualification experience in a Medical Laboratory.
- Experience in working in a TB Laboratory is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft word, excel, power point, and internet are required.
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the requirements of the posts are invited to submit their applications accompanied by CVs and certified copies of certificates to:
The Secretary for Health and Child Care
1st Floor Kaguvi Building
Corner Simon V Muzenda Street/Central Avenue
P.O. Box CY1122
Deadline: 10 February 2023