Reporting to the Head of ICT and working under the supervision of the Systems Engineering Team Leader, The Senior Linux Engineer provides a key role supporting, maintaining, monitoring and troubleshooting Core Systems and Infrastructure.
Duties And Responsibilities
As the Senior Linux Engineer, your responsibilities include: -
- Playing a significant role in providing effective monitoring and maintenance of all ZSS Mission critical services and Infrastructure, with a particular focus on Linux based platforms and systems, and supporting those operations through management of those systems.
- Acting as the department subject matter expert driving automation through scripting and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) based processing.
- Perform ‘business-as-usual’ tasks under the direction of the Systems Engineering Team Leader and Head of ICT Services.
- Commissioning, maintaining, patching and decommissioning IT Systems (including VM’s, Hardware and other supporting services).
- Manage and monitor all Linux based systems and hardware infrastructure.
- Plan, schedule and implement routine and emergency patching and upgrades to address known vulnerabilities or technical issues, including emergency patching where directed by the infosec team.
- Participate in troubleshooting, support and take ownership of escalated issues.
- Undertake implementation of tasks and assignments as directed by the Head of ICT or Systems Team Leader.
- As a member of ICT Services, you will also undertake a range of analytical and technical tasks as a part of the team, including:
- Working with the Infosec team, guide and assist the team in the execution of effective monitoring for attacks, intrusions and unusual, unauthorised or illegal activity
- Playing a hands-on role in root-cause analysis (RCA) and problem resolution
- Working on escalated problems, incidents and requests assigned under the ITIL framework
- participating in the testing and evaluation of new products and emerging technologies
- provide input to the design of new systems or upgrade existing ones
- use advanced monitoring and analytic tools to identify, monitor and report on resource utilisation and capacity trends
- Identify operational threats to the infrastructure or infrastructure related services, and escalate these to the Systems Engineering Team Leader
Qualifications And Experience
Ideally, candidates should possess the following skills:
- 3 or more years’ experience in a 3rd line IT engineering role, including at least 6 months in a banking, financial services, insurance, or an equivalent ‘blue-chip’ organisation.
- A strong interest in maintaining a broad technical skillset focussed around Linux and Enterprise level infrastructure, with particular emphasis on the current mix of technologies used at ZSS and its sister companies, such as:
- IT Services Management systems (operating to ITIL standards)
- Automation tools (Ansible)
- Identity Providers and Federation platforms (OpenLDAP, SAML)
- Web Content Platforms (Apache, Tomcat, HAProxy)
- Monitoring Systems (Grafana, Nagios, OpenNMS)
- Ubuntu and Debian Linux
- Administration, Architecture and troubleshooting of cloud platforms (Particularly OpenStack and AWS)
- Virtualisation and Containerisation (VMware vSphere, LXC, Docker, KVM)
- Backup and Disaster Recovery systems (Veeam, Triliovault, RSync)
- Excellent Scripting Skills (Bash, Perl, Python)
- Troubleshooting tools (sed/grep, tcpdump, perfmon, top, iostat, syslog etc)
- Patching and Patch management (Landscape, Aptitude, Unattended Upgrade processes) excellent attention to detail, true analytical skills and an ability to analyse complex information in order to identify patterns and trends
- Have an exposure and ingrained understanding of Enterprise scale IT (Highly Available Infrastructure) and working to a professional standard.
- an ability to work under pressure, particularly when dealing with threats and at times of high demand.
- Have an analytical and professional approach to working, a full understanding and ability to analyse and determine root-cause and resolution for complex problems
- Self-motivated and driven; an ability to keep up-to-date with the latest emerging trends and best practices
- Have obtained or are working towards obtaining professional accreditations or technical certifications in subjects relevant to the ZSS mix of technologies
- knowledge of computer networks, operating systems, software, hardware and security the ability to work as part of a team and to build relationships with staff and other relevant individuals