Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the above mentioned post.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary responsibilities of the Research Scientist will be to assist researchers to use the ZCHPC cluster for their research projects.
- The Research Scientist will interact with researchers, university students and staff throughout the cycle of research to provide technical and scientific computing support in the Engineering domain.
- The successful candidate will be a continuous learner, preferably someone currently working on a computing intensive research which needs HPC usage.
- Some of the duties and responsibilities are as follows.
- Providing support necessary to researchers' projects, data processing, analysis, and modeling requirements.
- Working with researchers to understand portions of their research dependent on, or could be improved by usage of the ZCHPC cluster.
- Effectively mentoring and communicating HPC related information and knowledge to all related researchers.
- Following Engineering specific global trends in HPC research and tailor them to suit our needs as a nation.
- Developing a growth plan and program for research carried out using the ZCHPC system to scale research to solve Zimbabwe’s socio-economic challenges.
- Identifying users' training needs; design and teach workshops as needed.
- Identifying of potential collaborations among researchers and areas where HPC usage would make notable improvements.
- Creating and maintain ZCHPC documentation, user guides, FAQs relevant to the respective domain.
- Identifying and recommend system policy changes in order to effectively offer optimal level of user environment and experience.
- Install, monitor and maintain user requested HPC software.
- Leading support for parallel and serial programming, libraries, utilities, code porting, debugging, and optimization.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master's or doctorate degree in any Engineering specialty.
- Ability to collaborate with scientists, engineers, and sponsors.
- The ability to conduct independent and significant research and a demonstrated research capability with a publication record in the specified area.
- Experience in software development in the Engineering domain.
- Flexibility in research assignments and the ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms.
- Previous experience mentoring students and/or postdocs in parallel computing.
How to Apply
Application letters, certified copies of certificates and CVs giving full personal details including full names, place and date of birth, qualifications, experience and names of at least three referees should be sent to the address below clearly indicating the vacancy applied for.
Zimbabwe Centre for High Performance Computing
High Performance Computing Centre Building
University of Zimbabwe
630 Churchill Avenue,
or Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be invited for interviews.
Deadline: 24 March 2023