Section 154 of the Constitution stipulates that the Clerk of Parliament and other Staff of Parliament are appointed on terms of conditions of service approved from time to time by the Committee on Standing Rules and Orders (CSRO) and are Public Officers, distinct and separate from the Public Service. These appointments are on an open, performance based contract subject to the provisions of the Officers of Parliament (Terms of Service) Regulations, 2018, as amended from time to time.
Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified and experienced Zimbabwean citizens below the age of fifty (50), with a clean security, disciplinary, criminal record, to fill the permanent establishment vacant positions of Research Officer. Candidates with a good knowledge and practical application of Quality Management Systems (QMS) in particular ISO 9001:2015, will have a distinct advantage.
- Population Studies / Demography x 2
- Public Finance and Economics x4
- Law x1
- Environmental Studies / Sciences x 1
- Education x 1
- Agriculture/ Agricultural Economics/ Agrarian Reforms/ Rural Development x 2
- Labour Economics x1
Grade : 8/7
Location : Research Department
Reports To : Director – Research
13.1 Provide proactive and reactive research and analysis services to Parliamentary Portfolio Committees;
13.2 Conduct research on socio-economic and political issues as they impact on Zimbabwe;
13.3 Prepare well researched background papers for Presiding Officers, Members of Parliament (MPs) and Senior Staff of Parliament attending workshops, seminars and conferences;
13.4 Prepare speeches for the Presiding Officers and Senior Officials of Parliament, as required;
13.5 Assist MPs with information pertaining to the development of their constituencies;
13.6 Create and update information databases including the informatics database;
13.7 Liaise with relevant government agencies, institutions of higher learning, research institutes and other stakeholders; and
13.8 Perform any other duties as may be assigned from to time by the Director of Research;
Minimum Qualifications and Personnel Specifications
- An Honours Degree in the fields outlined above;
- An Honours Degree in Economics, Rural and Urban Planning Geography and Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Environmental Studies, Law, Economic History, or equivalent.
- A Master’s Degree in the afore-mentioned professional fields is an added advantage
- Demonstrable research or policy formulation or implementation experience at university, government department or institution of similar standing;
- 5 “O” Levels, including English Language and Maths
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills;
- Sound interpersonal and organisational skills;
- Good analytical and presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Innovative, highly motivated and able to work in a team
- High level of commitment
- Advanced computer literacy skills;
- At least 2 years relevant working experience
In return, Parliament of Zimbabwe offers a comparatively competitive public sector remuneration package which will be disclosed to shortlisted candidates.
Candidates with a good knowledge and practical application of Quality Management Systems (QMS) in particular ISO 9001:2015, will have a distinct advantage. Applications, together with fully detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certified educational and professional certificates, and three contactable referees, clearly showing which job is being applied for, should be hand-delivered and / or sent to:
The Clerk of Parliament
Corner Third Street & Nelson Mandela Avenue
P.O. Box CY 298
Alternatively, submissions can be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Canvassing and CV fraud will lead to automatic disqualification.
The closing date for receiving applications is Monday, 14th MARCH, 2022