The growing organic food market offers export opportunities for countries in the South and plays an important role in reducing poverty in rural areas. Organic farm production also creates important environmental benefits and helps farmers mitigate and adapt to climate change. However, many countries face obstacles to export organic products, including meeting buyers’ demands on quality, lack of information on requirements and standards, certification and building relationships with buyers. OFA seeks to address such obstacles by offering service packages to smallholder farmers and wild plant collecting families to prepare them for both, organic and fair-trade certification. This is the precondition to participate in producing and exporting organic products to Europe and other markets to meet the growing demand for healthy food. OFA has secured funding from the AFOS Foundation for Entrepreneurial Cooperation in Germany to provide services to strengthen environmentally friendly, certified, export-oriented plant production to smallholder farmers and wild plant collecting families in Zimbabwe with the objective to integrate them into the supply chain.
OFA is now looking for an energetic project coordinator, ready to support OFA in its course and further suitable strategies for its future development.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Coordination and supervision of all training activities (in cooperation with other training providers) on organic farming and certification for organic production and fair-trade adhering by the standards of currently four different certification labels for Fair Trade, Fair Wild, Organic Production and Food Safety.
- Establishes excellent working relationships with training partners, trainers and consultants involved in training activities and establishes close cooperation with community structures, administrative Directorates and other institutions and individuals involved with the activities.
- Develop and maintain a database on the status quo of each participant on training and certification under Monitoring & Evaluation tasks (excel and access).
- Maintains and regularly up-dates the operational plan for the project including budget allocations and expenditures (as well in accounting software).
- Prepares various project reports including annual reports, accountability reports and contributes to other reports as required by OFA and AFOS as well as proposals.
- Conceptual, technical, and organizational support in further developing OFA´s strategy and business plan.
- Supports the implementation of the traceability software of each product back to its origin as another standard for exporting organic produce (facilitation of IT-system).
- Strictly applying a “Do-no-harm” approach in implementation of activities to avoid tension between and within communities.
Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor/BSc or Masters/MSc in (organic) agriculture, rural development, or any an area that is related to the project objectives.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a position similar to the one advertised.
- Profound experience in planning, supervising, and implementing community training projects of scale in Zimbabwe.
- Sound knowledge of national and international standards and procedures for organic and Fair-Trade production and export, experience with the private sector of advantage.
- Extensive experience in international cooperation, experience with BMZ funded programs of advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of English with proven record of reporting in English according to the standards of international development cooperation.
- Very good interpersonal skills and ability to work with a multi-cultural team.
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications.
Ho To Apply
If you meet the minimum requirements and are interested in the position, please request for an application form from firstname.lastname@example.org before 31st March 2022.