Maintaining its humanitarian assistance capacity, WFP in its new Country Strategic Plan (CSP) will focus on supporting long-term social protection and resilience-building activities to achieve Zero Hunger. The Programme Policy Officer (Rural and Urban Resilience) is the lead for focus area 2 and 3 mentioned above which are:
Support to urban food insecure households for resilient livelihoods.
Support to rural communities for climate resilient livelihoods, sustainable management of natural resources and enhanced participation in local markets and value chains.
WFP Zimbabwe Country Office’s vision for urban and rural interventions is that food insecure people in targeted urban and rural areas can meet their basic food and nutrition requirements while maintaining improved coping strategies in the face of shocks and stresses in ways that reduce their need for urgent assistance, and they enjoy improved equitable access to basic services, livelihoods, and community-government collaboration. This is achieved through the implementation of interconnected food security and resilience-building interventions.
WFP is looking for a highly qualified and versatile candidate to design and manage Urban and Rural Resilience programmes that effectively meet the livelihood needs of the urban and rural populations, contribute to policy formulation and provide technical advice and oversight on the Resilience programme.
Duties And Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Resilience, the Programme Policy Officer (Urban and Rural Resilience) shall perform the following duties:
- Contribute towards the development of a wide variety of projects, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
- Provide project management support to specific and defined programmes and projects of considerable size/complexity, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Develop and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Research and analyse a range of policy and operational issues to inform the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improved food assistance packages.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through providing inputs into training materials.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Promote linkages between household and community resilience activities and those aimed at enhancing local markets and food value chains.
- Seek synergies between urban and rural resilience activities.
- Liaise with government to contribute to the development of a national approach to urban and rural livelihood development, public works and conditional resource transfers and identify sustainability mechanisms and exit strategies.
- Contribute to gender transformation, youth engagement and the inclusion of disadvantaged groups in all Programme efforts.
- Other as required.
Qualifications And Experience
Advanced university degree with experience in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Urban and rural planning, social sciences, agriculture, environmental sciences, and disaster risk management or related field or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- At least five years of professional experience in public sector management, development projects, and/or diverse aspects of national, bilateral or multilateral food assistance.
- Extensive experience in managing projects/programmes & working across the Programme portfolio.
- Extensive experience in conducting needs assessments, analysis of data, crafting implementation/operations plans and recommendations for policy and programme development.
- Experience in the establishment of partnerships with public and private sector actors; understanding of policy issues.
Desired Experiences For Entry Into The Role
- Previous experience in areas associated with Food Systems and Nutrition.
- Previous experience in assessing, designing and/or implementing Resilience programmes
- Proven leadership skills within an organization & with Governments, donors and other partners.
- Strong organizational, analytical and project management skills with an ability to work independently or as part of a diverse team, work and to take an idea from theory to practice.
- Ability to work systematically, use initiative, good judgement, and to timely communicate complex matters both orally and in writing; proven ability to work in a team environment and achieve common goals.
- Excellent written and spoken English, with the ability to facilitate workshops, negotiate agreements, and write publishable reports.
How To Apply
To Apply Use Link: https://career5.successfactors.eu//career?career_ns=job_listing&company=C0000168410P&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_GB&career_job_req_id=160344&_ga=2.86378204.574058867.1654153238-2048586132.1650954712