Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Physician, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G5
- Type of Appointment : Special Short Term with a possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- Reference Number: SVN2023/03
Duties and Responsibilities
Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations,
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity.
- Blood, urine, or sputum collection as required.
- Laboratory testing.
- TB management.
- Treatment and referrals.
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements.
- Documentation, certification, and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas may be required.
Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking.
- Accurate and thorough Biodata collection.
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits, and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates, as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health
- providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Nursing from an accredited academic institution in Nursing in countries where the Diploma allows to fulfil the full scope of responsibilities defined in PDs.
- A valid license to practice nursing in the country of duty station.
- For bachelor’s degree holder a minimum of three years of relevant clinical experience and for Diploma holder a minimum of three years of relevant clinical experience.
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access).
- In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration health related subject areas dealt with by the Organization.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- No late applications will be accepted.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to: email@example.com
NB: Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 27 March 2023