AHF is an international humanitarian organization operating in Zimbabwe, collaborating with the Ministry of Health & Child Care to create centres of excellence in health. AHF is looking for Medical Officers (3 – Bulawayo, Masvingo, Gwanda).
The Medical Officer is a clinical care position. It involves management of resources such as staff, infrastructure, equipment, finances; building and maintaining strategic partnerships; reporting and ensuring highest standards of clinical care at the centre.
Ultimately, this role entails day-to-day operations, quality assurance and decision-making in liaison with appropriate managers / directors.
Description & responsibilities
The Medical officer’s key responsibilities are to ensure that quality medical care is delivered to patients by providing clinical care, supervision, and mentorship for junior medical teams including Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists, Social workers, and other health professionals working within the program. The main accountabilities of this role include:
Duties And Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities
- Provides clinical care and monitoring to patients
- Performs physical examinations and preventive health measures within prescribed guidelines
- Orders, interprets and evaluates diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient's clinical problems and health care needs
- Reviews laboratory test results and other reports
- Records physical findings and formulates plan and prognosis based on patient's condition;
- discusses case with physician and other health professionals to prepare comprehensive patient care plan; Utilizes electronic medical records system to document patient care where available
- Prescribes medication or other forms of treatment such as physical therapy, occupational therapy or related therapeutic procedures; refills medication
- Refers patients to physician or specialist for consultation
- Attends and facilitates weekly CME meetings, monthly medical staff meetings and other meetings as requested
- On patient admissions speaks in person to the AHF inpatient physician at the appropriate hospital, writes out an H&P (history and physical), writes admitting orders as appropriate and gives to patient to take to the emergency room if being admitted
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to provide coverage at other AHF sites upon request & Provides Clinical support to AHF supported facilities in and around Harare.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervises nurses, doctors and other health care workers as delegated by Medical Director
Qualifications And Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and / or ability required
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Must have a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degree from a recognized institution and be Registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Zimbabwe with a Current Open Practicing certificate
- He /she should have teaching and mentoring skills and research skills
- The medical officer must be sensitive to patient population and issues surrounding HIV / AIDS and be able to prioritize tasks in a rapidly changing environment
- Computer Skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line Medical Officer- AHF Zimbabwe. Please indicate your preferred location. The closing date is 4 April 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.