About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps partners with communities as they move from a place of fragility to resilience, meeting urgent needs while addressing root causes – always powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been operating in Zimbabwe since 2002 focusing its interventions on a multi-sectoral market systems development portfolio mobilizing communities to promote small-scale agriculture and revive local economies. MC Zimbabwe seeks to support at-risk communities in Zimbabwe to move towards sustainable development through building resilience and strong inclusive systems in the face of climatic and economic shocks and stresses.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps Zimbabwe will implement a one (1) year USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)-funded ELEVATE program to respond to households experiencing acute food insecurity by providing life-saving food assistance and support agricultural interventions to improve resilience of vulnerable households in targeted underserved pockets of rural communities.
The Operations Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services. The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
The role of Logistics Assistant supports in operations functions; administration, procurement and logistics; supervises drivers and cleaners for field offices. Collaborate with program teams and other technical aspects related to logistics functions as required. Oversee tracking of all assets to ensure accurate record keeping of Mercy Corps and donor assets, including exceptional items requiring registration and movement tracking, according to the mercy corps Field Asset Management Manual. They will conduct themselves both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its programming in Zimbabwe.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Follow the Mercy Corps Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
- Has a full understanding of Mercy Corps warehouse policies and formats. Assists, as needed in training staff on these policies and forms.
- Maintain the inventory and prepare the reports on a monthly basis.
- Receive the goods as per the description on the purchase order/request. Inspects goods upon delivery and rejects inadequate, broken, lower quality and other items not meeting the requirements of the order.
- Dispatch goods from the warehouse using appropriate Mercy Corps procedures, Store Release forms, Waybills and update Stock Records.
- Prepare reports of monthly stocks, end of grant stocks, fiscal year physical counts and other physical counts, as instructed by the supervisor.
- Display bin cards on each item in the warehouse.
- Maintain physical and electronic copies of inventory, as per formats and forms provided in the Warehouse Manual.
- Generate the commodities movement way bills and gate passes.
Procurement & Logistics Management
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities.
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Assists, as needed in training staff on these policies.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by manager – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Interact with Vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC field procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all
- vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by cooperating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements. If, for any reason, one vendor/supplier is permitted to re-quote (submit a revised quotation), all competitors should be given the same opportunity.
- Re-quoting should be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program & Logistics Manager.
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Assist the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Assists P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Oversee the fleet and ensure that systems are in place to track maintenance schedules, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling as described in the Field Fleet Management guidelines. Custodian of office keys.
Qualifications And Experience
- Degree in a relevant business field is desired.
- 2-3 years of experience in large scale supply chain management.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Understanding in International Non-Government Organization (INGO) warehouse/logistics management and administration
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Good computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action so as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
How To Apply
To apply, please send one document that includes your cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, contactable references, and your CV to Mercy Corps Human Resources at email@example.com by COB 12 August 2022. Applications should be clearly marked with the position applied for in the email subject line.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity organization and encourages both female and male candidates to apply. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis and shortlisting will proceed as applications are received. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.