The university was established through an act of the Zimbabwe parliament in 2004 and opened its doors to 14 pioneer students in the faculty of Agricultural Sciences in August 2005. The expansion of university education in Zimbabwe is part of government policy adopted at the onset of independence.Head Office (Lupane Campus) P.O Box 170 Lupanehttp://www.lsu.ac.zw/
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the above mentioned post.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to the University’s Principal Officers and Council.
- Establishing internal controls to evaluate and protect the University’s legal interests and reduce its legal risks.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements that minimize risks and maximize legal rights.
- Represent, together with the University proctors, the University in internal proceedings before the Staff Disciplinary Committee and Student Disciplinary Committee.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes.
- Subject to direction of the University Registrar, the Legal Officer is responsible for resolving all legal claims and initiating and appealing all lawsuits and administrative proceedings.
- Subject to the direction of the University Registrar the Legal Officer manages outside counsel budgets, issues contracts for legal services, and retains outside counsel on behalf of all University units.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Drives efficiency and effectiveness.
- Thinks strategically.
- Align resources.
- Selects and develops talent.
- Motivates and inspires others.
- Builds relationships.
- Resiliency and courage.
- Operates with integrity.
- Learns and adapts.
- Creative problem solver who develops win-win solutions.
Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree.
- Master of Laws (LLM) in commercial law will be an added advantage.
- Experience in, or understanding of, the public sector and/or higher education environment with at least 5 years in a senior management position.
- Familiarity with the governance and administrative structures of the Lupane State University or a comparable higher education institution and how legal issues can affect a University.
- Significant leadership experience managing the work of legal practitioners and other professionals and/or in the representation of large, complex, and highly decentralised
- organisational clients with multiple stakeholder groups.
- Proven success in providing legal guidance in the context of complex organisations and a deeply held commitment to, and belief in, the value of collaborative decision making.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with multiple and diverse constituencies, such as faculty, staff, students, legislators, corporate partners, community leaders, the public, alumni, donors, and labour association leaders.
- High ethical standards with a strong commitment to the legal ethics exhibited in the knowledge and practise, and professional responsibility.
- Exceptional analytical, interpersonal, and written and communication skills.
- Sound judgment and personal and professional integrity.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified persons should send one set of their application in a single pdf file clearly indicating the position being applied for in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application should consist of the application letter, Curriculum Vitae giving full personal details including full names, place and date of birth, qualifications, experience, present salary, date of availability, names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of at least three referees, certified copies of educational and professional certificates, birth certificate and National Identity Card.
Closing Date: 16 September 2022.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.