Basic Functions: To create original graphic design and layout concepts for books, journals and other University publications.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Creating electronically-designed page layouts and imports word processing files into page layouts, as appropriate to the position; may develop and produce web-based graphics, as requested;
- Conceptualizing, planning, designing, and producing a wide range of specialized graphic, typesetting and/or illustrative material, to include multimedia concepts for published, printed or electronic books, journals and scientific magazines;
- Working with clientele to ascertain needs and to develop graphic directions, concepts, and specifications for assigned projects;
- Oversees and coordinates the production process; develops and writes printing and/or other production specifications, and selects appropriate production media and materials, such as ink paper and binding; and inspects proofs and advance copies for accuracy and adherence to appropriate production and University standards;
- Ccoordinating a graphics or photographic library and/or maintain digital records;
- Creating and producing animated videos and animated portions of live videos using computers and video production equipment for knowledge products marketing;
- Performing miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications And Experience
- A Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design or Arts
- A qualification in 3-D design; Illustration or printing would be an added advantage.
Experience And Skills
- Highly creative imaginative and analytical individual preferred; one with an acute vision, a good eye for design, layout and detail and is deadline-oriented.
- Ability to analyze and interpret user graphic requirements, graphic and technical information and to create interpretive illustrations;
- Skills in the utilization of specified computerized graphic design software and programs (e.g. in-design, CorelDraw, Photoshop, InDesign, PageMaker, PhotoShop, Jpeg, Illustrator, Sketch and After Effects graphic, etc.);
- Experience and skills in digital publishing or e-publishing;
- Verifiable experience in book design and production; It would be helpful to provide what one has designed; a compelling portfolio of work over a wide range of creative projects a must;
- Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements and reproduction processes and techniques;
- A flexible, confident, patient and organised personality is preferred, as pressure to meet deadlines means that extra hours may be required at times;
How To Apply
Interested candidates must submit six applications giving full personal particulars (including full names, place and date of birth, national registration number, etc) qualifications, employment and experience, present salary, date of availability, telephone number and names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to:
Deputy Registrar, Human Resources
University of Zimbabwe
P O Box MP167
Certified copies of school and college certificates must be attached to each set of application.
*Harare Polytechnic ND Printing and Graphic Arts Graduates are encouraged to apply