The position is responsible for providing technical support to Research and Extension programs within the Plant Breeding Division. The incumbent should have exceptional organizational skills, a hands-on approach to work and very good engagement skills. The position reports to the Head of the Division. This is a two-year internship programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifying traits in tobacco and industrial hemp plants that are desirable for commercial use, such as disease resistance, increased yield, or improved growth rates
- Conducting research on plant breeding methods, new technology developments, and new product ideas
- Developing new strains of tobacco and industrial hemp plants that meet specific criteria
- Selecting the best tobacco and industrial hemp plants to breed based on desired traits and characteristics
- Developing breeding strategies to produce tobacco and industrial hemp plants with the desired characteristics, including selecting parents with desired traits that can be passed on to offspring
- Participate in synergy and collaborative activities within all Plant breeding Skills Groups.
- Implement and manage assigned projects from beginning to end.
- Writing technical publications, weekly and monthly reports timeously.
- Assisting undergraduate students with thesis projects and experiments.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum Degree in Plant breeding, Biotechnology or Biological Sciences or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 1-year relevant work experience is required.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit applications with a detailed CV, certified copies of academic and professional qualifications to the Head Human Resources on email@example.com. All documents should be merged on one document.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 30 December 2022