Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest German non-governmental organizations in development co- operation and emergency relief. Primarily in cooperation with local partner organizations, our task is to contribute to the improvement in nutritional and income base for the low-income populations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe since 1980. Sector focus is on Water Sanitation and Hygiene, Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods and when necessary, Emergency response.
- The Finance Officer will be responsible for ensuring that project’s financial administrative processes at the project location are auditable and efficient and carrying out financial administrative controls at project level;
- Support the Head of Finance perform his / her supervisory within the framework of project administration and if necessary, instructing and supporting project partner organizations (PPO) in matters relating to financial management so that they fulfill their contractual obligations towards Welthungerhilfe and cofinanciers in accordance with the partner contract and in an auditable manner.
- The Finance Officer will be expected to: Ensure that project funds are correctly managed according to the specifications of Welthungerhilfe and co-financiers.
- This includes liquidity planning of project, funds requests, bank transactions, bookkeeping, preparing of monthly closure and of prompt financial reports / the financial part of reports on expenditure of funds in cooperation with Head of Finance in Country Office;
- Ensure that documentation of data, account assignment and bookkeeping entries are carried out correctly in bookkeeping Software;
- Ensure that costs are cleared internally within a project or between projects (correct allocation of costs); Prepare annual account documents in cooperation with Head of Project and Head of Finance in Country Office:
- Prepare Refunds / returns / final fund requests to donors; Instruct, advise and supervise administrative staff;
- Correctly manage project inventory and vehicle fleet;
- If applicable supporting PO implement project according to co-financing agreement and Welthungerhilfe standards;
- Sign off the monthly checklist for Head of Finance after reviewing project vouchers;
- Follow up on the work of financial administrators and ensure that they meet set deadlines (e.g deadlines for monthly closure, settlement of receivables, clearingaccounts, scanning of vouchers in Funds Pro, etc);
- Review financial reports to donors, amendments and cash flow forecasts before they get to the Head of Finance;
- Review Direct Payment Requests before they are signed off by the Head of Finance;
- Assist in developing financial proposals to donors; Assist in setting up new projects / amendments in Funds Pro;
- Assist in inducting new finance employees;
- Prepare annual financial statements for external purposes; Capture donor fund requests in Funds Pro and inform HQ accordingly;
- Provide technical support (in Funds Pro) to the finance team: Assess partner organizations according to WHH partnerassessment tool;
- Take the lead in developing financial proposals to donors; Train support partners in WHH and donor regulations, financial management e.g organize and facilitate regular workshops with partners;
- Prepare annual financial statements for external purposes; Assess partner organizations according to WHH partner assessment tool;
- Prepare partnership agreements and cost and financing plans for new contracts and amendments according to WHH standards;
- Serve as a focal person for external audits; Capture Donor Fund Request in Funds Pro and inform HQ accordingly; Create banks and cash in funds Pro for new and existing projects;
- Upload Donor Financial Reports on Promis soon after the donor report is submitted to the donor;
- Capture budgets for new / existing projects on Promis;
- Fulfillment of any other tasks which are assigned by the management and correspond in general with the character of this position.
Qualifications, skills and experience required
- University Degree in Accounting or equivalent; At least two to five years of relevant professional experience in the field of finance
- Proven record of experience in working with partners; Very good facilitation skills and experience with different participatory training methods;
- Ability to understand, analyze, and interpret donor guidelines, financial reporting and to some extent legal documents;
- Ability to present information effectively to top management, Head ofprojects and partner organizations;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions; Demonstrated ability tomanage multiple projects / tasks concurrently under deadline pressure and changing priorities;
- Problem solving mentality;
- Ability to exchange non-routine information using tact and persuasion as appropriate, requiring excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Financial analysis, financial reporting, cash flow analysis, budget development, and forecasting; Initiative, passion and commitment to Welthungerhilfe professional values;
- Proficiency in MS Office, financial software applications and reporting packages;
- Possess excellent organizational skills: Willingness to travel in the country, also to remote places; NGO experience is an asset.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation and their CVs to email@example.com Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap. Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.