The Southern Africa Development Community Secretariat (SADC) is seeking to recruit highly motivated and experienced professionals who are citizens of Member States of the SADC to fill the following regional positions to its Organization Structure.
Finance Officer – Payroll – Job Grade 6
Purpose of the job:
To coordinate the payroll function ensuring that direct and control personnel implementing payment control tasks related to payroll achieve set objectives.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Obtain, up-date and maintain a register of signatures on institutional payroll authorisations in line with the Delegation Register on the following;
- employment contract both Project and Regional Staff;
- facilities - loans, advances and guarantees;
- payment allowances – gratuity;
- Charges – surcharges; and
- Maintain and up-date specific and separate control accounts on the following items:
- Gratuity Fund;
- Loan Fund;
- Staff Loan Guarantees;
- Salary Advance;
- Third party payments (scheme loans and medical aid)
- Terminal Payments; and
- Insurance for Staff.
- On a monthly basis, review payroll payments (Projects, Regional, local and seconded staff) and other transfers of financial resources, analyses monthly payroll movement and submit for authorization in line with the Delegation Register.
- Issue accounts and financial reports in the area of payroll payments, supported by adequate financial records.
- Prepare loan fund and gratuity fund reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Ensure monthly reconciliation of the project salary advance account.
- Review payments of staff gratuities and payments in lieu of leave to ensure accuracy, compliance with policy and timely payment
- Check staff end contract clearance forms to ensure exiting staff have no outstanding advances and loans.
- Review monthly reconciliations of payroll bank accounts, and control ledgers to ensure accuracy and timeliness of expenses.
- Review monthly schedules of reconciliation of allowances and Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting deadlines;
- Ensure proper application of relevant accounting policies (IPSAS) in the treatment of employee benefits;
- Review of GIZ quarterly report and ensure timely submission.
- Review request for disbursement from GIZ and ensure timely submission.
- Review and supervise work of the accounting team and provide adequate coaching and training.
- Continuously identify and implement leading practices to promote and efficient and effective financial accounting and reporting process
- Liaise with auditors both internal and external on payroll related matters.
- Any other tasks as assigned from time to time.
People Management within the unit
- Ensure team compliance with all relevant Secretariat values, policies and standards, and statutory requirements
- Work towards building a positive and compelling workplace and team culture
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel
- Plan the unit’s activity and maintain direct oversight on its operations and the staff in terms of (a) work scheduling, (b) estimating resource and staffing needs, (c) allocating and delegating tasks, and (d) recruiting, training, developing, supporting, supervising, mentoring, motivating and appraising staff
- Undertake any other duties as delegated by the Director or the Deputy ES
Qualifications And Experience
- At least a Degree in a Finance related field from a recognised institution
- Professional Certification
- Professional accountancy certification such as ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, ICAS, ACPA or equivalent
- Knowledge of IAS, IFRS and IPSAS
- Proficient in the use of computers and computer software relevant to the position
- Experience with VIP and sun system will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ work experience in a similar position
- Communication and presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Organisational skills (planning, budgeting, time management, work prioritisation)
- Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Supervisory skills
- Apply interpersonal styles/methods to develop and motivate staff
- Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to deadlines
- Capacity to motivate and influence people positively and creates a climate where people want to do their best
- Conceptual and practical thinking
- Customer focused
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and largely unsupervised
- Maintain confidentiality and respectful of sensitive situations
- Methodical and organised, with a high level of attention to details
- Organisational awareness with an understanding of how to engage the organisation to get things done
- Professionalism and adherence to good work ethics
- Question conventional approaches and encourage new ideas and innovations for progress
- Resilience and personal drive, self-motivation
- Results and performance driven
- Team player
How To Apply
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
- Are 50 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
- Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Closing Date and Submission of Applications: Applications must be submitted to the SADC National Contact Point https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/national-contact-points / of the eligible Member States not later than or on 23 May 2022.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
- A cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position
- Not more than five (5) pages updated curriculum vitae;
- Certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
- Duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details on the position that you want to apply for, job profiles and SADC Application Form, refer to the SADC Website: www.sadc.int
Details can also be obtained from the National Contact Point in your respective country.