The Southern Africa Development Community Secretariat (SADC) is seeking to recruit highly motivated and experienced professionals who are citizens of Member States of the SADC to fill the following regional positions to its Organization Structure.
6. Finance Officer – Grants/Contracts & Projects – Job Grade 6
Main purpose of the job
Under the supervision of Senior Finance Officer - Grants/Contracts & Projects the incumbent will facilitate an efficient and effective financial administration accounting and reporting of project funds managed by the Secretariat
Duties And Responsibilities
Budgeting and Control
- Prepare and disseminate the budget preparation guidelines to all project owners in directorates/units, provide adequate support and coordinate the budgeting process
- Consolidate the annual budget and submit to the Controller Accounting Services.
Budget & Expenditure Control
- Ensure that commitments are only made against budgeted appropriations. Review and approve project commitments (purchase orders)
- Review procurement procedures followed for award of contracts and ensure compliance with donor contractual requirements. Report exceptions to management
- Perform regular monitoring of project actual expenditure against budget and report potential overruns to management
- Ensure chart of accounts are appropriately set up for accounting and reporting of project expenditures, and maintain control around updates
- Review and analyze relevant reports prepared by the Assistant Finance Officer, financial reports, income and expenditures incurred by projects, perform relevant analysis and reconciliations to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Prepare a timetable of donor reporting requirements and ensure compliance by the accounting team
- Liaise with donor finance officers and address their queries on the financial reports
- Provide relevant information for audit and clear audit queries
- Keep up to date with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and provide adequate training to accounting team
- Review all outstanding commitments made and ensure these are settled, accounted and reported before close of projects with donors
Cash Management & Control
- Review and approve disbursements for project expenditures after satisfactory review
- Review agreements and contractual rules and procedures established by donors for sound cash management and ensure these are implemented and followed during the financial management of projects
- Review all bank reconciliations and cash flow reconciliation prepared by Treasury Finance Officers for projects and Assistant Finance Officer and ensure they are complete and accurate
- Ensure adequate controls are implemented and followed for proper management of project funds
- Review monthly cash flow reconciliations and forecasts prepared by the Assistant Finance Officer and liaise with donors and banks in advance to solicit additional funding requirements
- Provide periodic reports to the Financial Controller on cash flow positions and forecasts for review
- Ensure contractual requirements of donors regarding internal controls around project financial management are effectively implemented
- Review and implement auditor recommendations for better financial controls
- Manage risks and implement appropriate mitigating measures.
- Coordinate with the Assistant Finance Officer –Asset to ensure proper management and record keeping of fixed assets for the Secretariat and projects, ensure compliance with donor rules and conditions
- Review and confirm all recoverable or payable balances at the close of projects, liaise with donor finance officers and SADC disbursement officers and treasury accordingly for settlement
- Submit reports to donors as stipulated in contractual conditions and attend to ad hoc information request
- Financial Contracts Management including financial Securities such as Bank Guarantee
- Prepare Budgetary Performance Reports in respect of Grants and Projects matters
- Prepare Draft Annotated Agenda and background documents to Governance Oversight Structures on Grants and Projects matters
- Provide Secretariat Services (as member of Draft Team) to FSC
- Any other duties as may be assigned
- Prepare work plan, schedule work, allocate and delegate tasks to subordinates
- Supervise the subordinates and their work, and appraise their job performance
- Provide advice and guidance as and when required to subordinates
- Provide quality services as per service level agreements
- Consult with the Head of Unit on any staff related issues
- Provide inputs to the annual budget estimation for the unit
- Prepare regular progress reports for the Head of Unit, as and when required
- Research and adopt best practices in own area of work, and maintain highlevel of knowledge in order to effectively undertake the duties of the post
Qualifications And Experience
- At least a Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Professional Certification
- Professional accountancy certification such as ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, ICAS, ACPA or equivalent
- At least 10 – 15 years of work experience in a similar field
- Communication and presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Networking and relationship building skills
- Organisational skills (planning, budgeting, time management, work prioritisation)
- Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Supervisory skills
- Apply interpersonal styles/methods to develop and motivate staff
- Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to deadlines
- Capacity to motivate and influence people positively and creates a climate where people want to do their best
- Conceptual and practical thinking
- Customer focused
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and largely unsupervised
- Maintain confidentiality and respectful of sensitive situations
- Methodical and organised, with a high level of attention to details
- Organisational awareness with an understanding of how to engage the organisation to get things done
- Professionalism and adherence to good work ethics
- Question conventional approaches and encourage new ideas and innovations for progress
- Resilience and personal drive, self-motivation
- Results and performance driven
- Team player
How To Apply
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
- Are 50 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
- Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Closing Date and Submission of Applications: Applications must be submitted to the SADC National Contact Point https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/national-contact-points / of the eligible Member States not later than or on 23 May 2022.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
- A cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position
- Not more than five (5) pages updated curriculum vitae;
- Certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
- Duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details on the position that you want to apply for, job profiles and SADC Application Form, refer to the SADC Website: www.sadc.int
Details can also be obtained from the National Contact Point in your respective country.