Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Harare, Zimbabwe, and direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO); and, in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters and the Administrative Centres, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the resources management functions in Zimbabwe
Position Title : Finance Assistant
Duty Station : Harare, Zimbabwe
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G4
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term 3 months with a possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Reference Number :SVN2022/14
Closing Date : 2 August 2022
Duties And Responsibilities
- Extract and input data from various sources in financial or accounting systems.
- Respond to accounting, budget, or financial queries regarding data from staff in the unit and elsewhere.
- Assist in the preparation of the payroll by executing validity checks on monthly payroll results.
- Review all types of payments, from purchase to payment requests, verifying that they are duly authorized, and all the supporting documents are attached therewith.
- Create new Vendor Accounts in PRISM.
- Verify vendor requests for accuracy and conformance with IOM finance policies and instructions.
- Perform claim verifications against documentation to ensure that purchases/services are properly authorized and that the goods have been received or services rendered.
- Prepare necessary receipt and journal vouchers.
- Assist in the preparation of budget, accounting, financial, statistical reports, and other reports as required.
- Assist all staff services such as travel, expense claims and document retrieval, among others.
- Ensure proper and systematic filling of all posted payments and other accounting documents according to the established standards.
- Responsible for the Petty Cash of the office; and,
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications And Experience
- High School diploma with four years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finances, or related fieldswith two years of relevant professional experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage.
- Attention to detail and ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way.
- Discreet, detail and client-oriented, patient, and willing to learn new things; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, nongovernment or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and culturaldifferences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and
- timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- No late applications will be accepted.
How To Apply
IOM invites interested candidates to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 August 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.