Deadline: 9 February 2022
Expected starting date: 1 March 2022
Partners for Integrated Growth and Development (pigad) is a duly registered Zimbabwean NGO. The organization was established in 2014 and it is driven by the vision to empower communities through relief, rehabilitation and developmental programmes in both urban and rural communities.
Currently, pigad is implementing an agribusiness development intervention in Mashonaland East, Mashonaland Central and Manicaland Provinces with an outreach of in excess of 5000 smallholder poultry farmer households and 500 young entrepreneurs operating various businesses within the poultry value chain. The programme is being facilitated by Help from Germany, supported and financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Field Officer position
The main purpose of this position is to provide extension services and technical support to smallholder farmers producing eggs and youth operating micro-enterprises in the targeted districts to ensure the development of sustainable enterprises with links to markets.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct community farmer mobilization and project sensitization meetings;
- Participate in farmer household and young entrepreneur’s selection & verifications and according to the laid down rules and regulations;
- Participate in development of poultry & business management training materials and facilitate farmer / micro entrepreneur’s trainings;
- Advice farmers and youths on poultry and business management including Internal Savings and Lending Schemes (ISALs);
- Facilitate the selection of project community volunteers (Lead Farmers, Community ISAL Facilitators) and demonstration plot sites;
- Conduct monthly monitoring visits to smallholder farming households, youth enterprises, community volunteers and demonstration plot sites;
- Coordinate and where possible conduct project trainings and facilitate meetings and field days; Facilitate formation of farmer groups and associations within the area of operation;
- Compilation of project activity reports;
- Document lessons learnt;
- Liaise with all key stakeholders in the area of operation and represent the organization at any community meetings and gatherings;
- Carryout any other duties as requested by management;
- This description is not exhaustive, and the post holder may be required to undertake duties that are broadly in line with the above responsibilities.
Skills and qualifications
- Diploma / Degree in Agriculture / Agricultural Economics / Agribusiness;
- At least 3 years’ experience in conducting smallholder farmer and youth training and extension;
- Experience in poultry production and disease management especially commercial layer chickens;
- Business-oriented mindset;
- Experience in development of training materials;
- License and ability to ride a motorcycle;
- Knowledge of basic computer packages like Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Willingness to relocate to the project area (rural area);
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently, be innovative and creative;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Applicants should submit detailed CVs and letters of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org before or on the 9th of February 2022. Short listing will be done as applications are received, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews
Pigad believes in equal opportunities for all hence women and youths are encouraged to apply.