What is an Agricultural Economist, Zimbabwe Farmers’ Union
The Zimbabwe Farmers' Union (ZFU) is the largest farmers’ interest organization in Zimbabwe, and it represents over a million farming households. The Union draws its membership from the following sub sectors; Small- Holder farmers, Small-Scale Commercial farmers, and Large-Scale Commercial farmers. One of the main mandates of ZFU is to promote and advance farmers’ interests and welfare through policy lobby and advocacy.
A vacancy has arisen in the organisation for the post of Agricultural Economist.
The Economist has an important role in ZFU. He/she is key in keeping the ZFU leadership aware and informed on national and international policy developments that have a direct bearing of farmer resilience, viability, and commercialisation. Provides economic and advisory services required by ZFU leadership. Checks that monitoring data are discussed in appropriate forum and in a timely fashion in terms of implications for future action. If necessary, create such discussions to fill any gap and perform other duties as may be assigned by the leadership.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide economic support to farmers including generation of gross margin budgets, farm cash flows, income statements, balance sheets, project proposals and other farm records
- Provide Economics advisory services to ZFU members.
- Carry out qualitative and quantitative research and analysis of national and international agricultural policies, legislation and strategies.
- Develop evidence based position papers, policy briefs, white papers for policy engagement at national and international levels
- Disseminate economic information to farmers including statistical reports, market guides, price and production trends, interest rates and inflation
- Initiate and coordinate platforms for policy dialogue
- Contribute to designing and implementation of initiatives, projects or programmes
- Support progress reporting, mid-term review and final evaluation for special projects.
- Develop the overall framework, for the Strategic Plan M&E, for example mid-term review, impact assessment, final evaluation, develop the Performance Monitoring Plan with relevant data collection systems.
- Develop baseline data for the ZFU Strategic Plan thematic areas and for all ZFU project indicators.
- Represent ZFU in National, and International thematic Committees and related platforms
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in agricultural economics and other related fields
- Experience in working with farmers
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing performance monitoring plans.
- Knowledge of the major research methodologies (e.g. qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Experience in planning and managing surveys.
- Experience in developing and refining data collection tools.
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight.
- Experience in managing and providing training to partners and target beneficiaries.
- Experience in lobby and advocacy and principled negotiations
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation is desirabl
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different ethnic backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to the Zimbabwe Farmers Union strategic priorities
- Ability to lead formulation and implementation of training programmes within the Unions.
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with private and public entities to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills
Qualifications And Experience
- The Applicant should have a bachelor’s degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, Sustainable Development, or related field.
- She/He must have at least Five (3) years’ relevant experience working with farmers.
Ho To Apply
Please submit a Curriculum Vitae and motivational letter to the attention of Human Resources. All applications must be sent by email firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Please ensure your email subject clearly reads the position being applied for.