About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps partners with communities as they move from a place of fragility to resilience, meeting urgent needs while addressing root causes – always powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Program /Department /Team
Mercy Corps has been operating in Zimbabwe since 2002 focusing its interventions on a multi-sectoral market systems development portfolio mobilizing communities to promote small-scale agriculture and revive local economies. MC Zimbabwe seeks to support at-risk communities in Zimbabwe to move towards sustainable development through building resilience and strong inclusive systems in the face of climatic and economic shocks and stresses.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps Zimbabwe will implement a one (1) year USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)-funded ELEVATE program to respond to households experiencing acute food insecurity by providing life-saving food assistance and support agricultural interventions to improve resilience of vulnerable households in targeted underserved pockets of rural communities.
The Driver will provide safe transport services for Mercy Corps program and support staff in the described AOR (Area of Responsibility). The driver will adhere to all traffic and Mercy Corps safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by Mercy Corps.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by the supervisor.
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations.
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to transport management.
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor.
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times.
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office daily workloads.
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business.
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to transport management on a regular basis
- Undertake field assignments as assigned.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Qualifications And Experience
Knowledge and Experience
- Valid driver’s license and experience driving 4x4 vehicles.
- Defensive driving certificate will be an added advantage.
- 5 Basic O’ Levels
- Must respect and adhere to all safety and traffic rules
- More than 5 years’ driving experience in the NGO sector.
- Basic vehicle maintenance.
- Good written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations and project areas.
How To Apply
To apply, please send one document that includes your cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, contactable references, and your CV to Mercy Corps Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 12 August 2022. Applications should be clearly marked with the position applied for in the email subject line.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity organization and encourages both female and male candidates to apply. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis and shortlisting will proceed as applications are received. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.