As a key member of the Disaster Management Department, the Disaster Preparedness Officer will provide technical support to the implementation of the both the Climate Smart Resilience and Forecast Based Actions projects currently being implemented by the National Society.
Guided by the Preparedness for Effective Response Approach the DPO will additionally support Senior Management in the assessment, identification and implementation of recommendations to improve National Society Disaster Preparedness.
A key focus of the Preparedness Officer position will be the continued development of the National Societies capacity to implement Forecast Based and Anticipatory Actions, building both the systems and funding mechanisms which will allow for proactive responses to forecast and anticipated hazards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to the Climate Smart Resilience Project and the Early Action Protocol for Drought, ensuring that Forecast Based and Anticipatory Action activities are implemented to a high standard and according to the project agreements.
- Provide ongoing support to the development of a Forecast Based Actions methodology and lead its continued adoption and integration into the Zimbabwe Red Cross Society’s Disaster Management and Provincial structures.
- Support the National Society efforts to strengthen the Disaster Management department through continued support to the implementation of Preparedness for Effective Response assessments and recommendations.
- Coordinate with Government of Zimbabwe and NGO stakeholders active in the FBA sector to ensure that there is effective collaboration between projects and to identify potential partnerships in both the forecasting and Early Actions space.
The Disaster Preparedness Officer is responsible for:
- Support development and monitoring of Forecast Based Action components of the Climate Smart Resilience Project
- Lead the development of the expansion of the FBA approach to other vulnerable districts and support the development of national Early Action Protocols targeting key identified hazards
- Lead the development and review of Standard Operating Procedures that will identify thresholds and triggers and will guide the implementation of Early Actions
- Support the identification of community- based livelihoods interventions that can be implemented to mitigate the impacts of drought.
- Participate in the Zimbabwe Red Cross Society’s relevant technical working groups to integrate and mainstream the FBA approach within the national society.
- Oversee the implementation of the Forecast Based Action for Drought Early Action Protocol
- Continued monitoring of the existing Early Action Protocol, ensuring that hazard forecasts are identified and actioned according to the protocol agreement.
- Ensure that the contractual and partnership arrangements are in place to support the implementation of the Early Actions in accordance with the Protocol for Drought
- Lead Zimbabwe Red Cross Society’s coordination with national and district stakeholders to ensure that Early Actions are implemented with the support of the Community of Practice/ Technical Working Group.
- Support the strengthening of Disaster Preparedness structures and systems of the ZRCS.
- Contribute to the strengthening of preparedness structures in the Zimbabwe Red Cross. Society through the application of Preparedness for Effective Response.
- Support the continued development and review of the Standard Operating Procedures which guide NS actions for both preparedness and response.
- Support the planning and implementation of simulation exercises at both national and district level ensuring that there is strong familiarity and adherence to validated SOPs.
- Coordinate with the FBA Community of Practice members ensuring there is good collaboration and potential partnerships are identified and developed.
- Attend and represent the National Society at relevant Cluster, Community of Practice and Technical Working Group meetings, ensuring that the Society is well positioned and informed.
- Actively work towards the achievement of the National Society Strategic Goals, with a particular focus on Disaster Preparedness.
Other Duties and Tasks
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
An undergraduate degree in Agrometeorology, Agriculture, Project Management, Development Studies, Social Science, GIS/ Data Analysis.
Postgraduate qualifications a distinct advantage.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the implementation of programming preferably with experience in Forecast Based Actions, Preparedness and Response or Disaster Risk Reduction
- Project management experience including monitoring, reporting, budgeting and financial oversight
- Experience working with digital data collection software such as Open Data Kit, KoBo ToolBox,
- Experience coordinating with district level stakeholders as well as national level Government agencies, coordination platforms and partner organisations.
- A familiarity with the coordination platforms for Anticipatory Actions is an advantage.
- Familiarity with the Movement and its approaches to Disaster Preparedness, Forecast Based Actions, Contingency Planning and Preparedness for Effective Response is an advantage
- Skilled in use of Microsoft office package.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Strong reporting and proposal writing skills.
- Skills in conducting training and other capacity building activities.
- Strong analytical and research competencies.
- Strong time and task management skills.
How to Apply
Email your application and CV to: email@example.com and address to:
The Secretary General
Zimbabwe Red Cross Society.
Daedline: 27 March 2023