The Zimbabwe Open University (ZOU) is the largest and comprehensive Open & Distance Electronic Learning (ODeL) University in Zimbabwe that offers lifelong learning in an affordable and flexible manner.
Suitably qualified, experienced and motivated candidates are invited to apply for the above vacant positions that have arisen at the Zimbabwe Open University.
WOMEN CANDIDATES AND THE DIFFERENTLY ABLED PERSONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Director Teaching And Learning Centre: National Centre (1 Post)
The post of Director, Teaching and Learning is a strategic position which requires a person of high personal and professional integrity with a distinguished leadership record.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Providing staff training and professional development support services to improve teaching to Faculties;
- Providing professional development for graduate students as they prepare for future careers as teaching Faculties;
- Providing learning support services for students in study and learning and learning skills;
- Conducting educational research on teaching methods or e-learning programs;
- Identifying strategies to engage the expertise of the Zimbabwe Open University Faculties to advance online teaching and learning;
- Developing and implementing various training programmes to capacitate human capital with skills that are consistent with the Higher and Tertiary Education 5.0;
- Providing vision, leadership and management for the Teaching and Learning staff;
- Building a central resource of media-rich materials that promote effective, inclusive teaching practices, support Faculty innovation, and foster a community of engaged teaching practitioners;
- Developing appropriate customised training in effective teaching staff in collaboration with other Units of the University, e.g. Faculties, Human Resources and ICT;
- Collaborating with other Units in the University in identifying training and development needs to capacitate staff so that they contribute meaningfully towards the achievement of University's Online Distance, Electronic Learning (ODeL) strategy;
- Ensuring an on-going assessment of instructional innovations and curricular reform in collaboration with Quality Assurance Unit; and
- Performing any other duties as delegated by the Pro-Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs.
Qualifications And Experience
- Capable of giving sound academic direction to the Faculties;
- The incumbent must demonstrate knowledge and skills of running an Open Learning Centre.
- Evidence of sound research published in his/her academic discipline.
- Ability to introduce and supervise Education 5.0 training programmes;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and demonstrable talent for working well with partners to inform and advance their goals for teaching and learning;
- An ability to work proactively and to communicate and coordinate well with other Units;
- Ability to work with Faculties at all levels, across all disciplines, preferably, in all modes of instruction from face to face to hybrid online;
- Good analytical and negotiation skills; and
- Confidentiality and loyalty to the objects of the University;
Qualifications and Experience
- An earned PhD from a reputable and accredited Higher Education Institution is a prerequisite;
- Associate or Full Professorship in Education or related field is an added advantage
- An earned Master’s Degree is a pre-requisite;
- An earned Bachelor’s Degree is a must;
- Five (5) years post qualification experience in an academic or management position at an institution of higher learning is a pre-requisite;
- Certificate or Diploma in Training and Development is an added advantage;
- Certificate in Organisational Development and Change is an added advantage;
- Experience in Organisational Development and Change Management and Monitoring and Evaluation is an added advantage;
- Experience in fostering and sustaining learning communities to advance curricular and pedagogical experimentation and the sharing of effective teaching practices is an added advantage;
- Experience in Training and Development is an added advantage;
- Knowledge of Open, Distance and Electronic Learning would be an added advantage;
- Working experience in a university setting, especially Open, Distance and Electronic Learning is an added advantage; and
- Experience at an institution of higher learning as an academic, administrator, researcher or learning specialist is an added advantage.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified persons should submit their applications consisting of the following documents: application letter, certified educational and professional certificates as well as transcripts and curriculum vitae with contact details (telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three (3) referees as follows:
- in PDF format as a single document to: email@example.com
- as hard copies which consist of ten (10) sets of each of the above listed documents. All envelopes should clearly indicate the post being applied for.
Please note that, posts 1, 2 & 3 are a re-advertisement. Those who applied previously need not re-apply as they shall be considered. However, they can update their applications if they so wish.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Director, Human Resources
Zimbabwe Open University
P O Box MP 1119
Hand delivered to
Cnr. Machel Ave and L. Takawira St.
NB: Applications should be received not later than 14 August 2022.