Background and context
The efficacy of higher and tertiary education as it relates to economic efficiency and social justice is unparalleled. There has been global emphasis on higher and tertiary education in most recent decades with a confirmation that access to higher and tertiary institutions increased worldwide and gross enrolment rate doubling between 2000 and 2018 (UNESCO, 2020). Even with the phenomenal growth rate in higher and tertiary education enrolment, inequalities to access have persisted premised on high tuition fees among a plethora of inhibiting variables.
The increase of university/college fees is continuously becoming a recurrent issue characterized by a large outcry by students and parents for institutions of higher and tertiary education to reduce their fees. The lack of a framework which regulates how fees are charged by such institutions has led to the petitioning of the Parliament Portfolio Committee on Higher and Tertiary Education Innovation Science and Technology Development (PPC on HTEISTD) by student bodies like the Zimbabwe National Students Union (ZINASU).It is against this background that ECOZI would like to conduct a desk study to assess the state of financing of Zimbabwe’s higher and tertiary education sector vis-à-vis college fees regulation.
The specific objectives of the study are:
To understand the impact of fees, increase on student enrolment and program completion; To understand the impact of the increase of fees on the welfare of students; To explore how Zimbabwe’s higher and tertiary education sector is being financed and establish sustainable higher and tertiary education financing model(s).
Reporting and payment plan
The consultant shall be expected to produce the following:
- A full report on the state of financing of Zimbabwe’s higher and tertiary education sector vis-à-vis college fees regulation
- To make a presentation of the report during a dialogue with college students and college representatives.
- A final report is expected to be submitted in 5 working days after signing of contract.
ECOZI invites applications from consultant(s)/ agency, able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- The consultant should have an advanced degree (Masters) in Public Administration, Social Sciences or a related discipline with provable experience working on Higher and Tertiary Education Policy and Public Policy issues.
- The researcher (s) should demonstrate ability to use participatory research techniques and understanding of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Well versed with policy making discourse (preferably influencing public consultations).
- Due to the nature of the assignment, the researcher will need to be based in Zimbabwe during the duration of the assignment.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified consultant should submit the following documents: Curriculum Vitae, Expression of Interest and financial proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org