The Zimbabwe Open University (ZOU) is the largest and comprehensive Open & Distance Electronic Learning (ODeL) University in Zimbabwe that offers lifelong learning in an affordable and flexible manner.
Suitably qualified, experienced and motivated candidates are invited to apply for the following vacant positions that have arisen at the Zimbabwe Open University.
WOMEN CANDIDATES AND THE DIFFERENTLY ABLED PERSONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Dean Of Faculty (4 Year Contract): (4 Posts)
- Faculty of Education (1 Post);
- Faculty of Arts, Culture and Heritage Studies (1 Post);
- Faculty of Applied Social Sciences (1 Post); and
- Faculty of Law (1 Post).
Duties And Responsibilities
- Ensure that Academic Departments undertake Teaching, Community Engagement, Research, Innovation and Industrialization activities for the production of goods and services;
- Participating in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of the academic policies of the University;
- Positioning the Faculty within the national higher education policy on Education 5.0;
- Overall planning, development, renewal and changing of academic programmes to ensure meaningful academic outcomes, quality, effectiveness and financial viability as well as obtaining the necessary approval of the Faculty Board, the Teaching and Learning Committee and Senate;
- Leading the Faculty in initiating effective open and distance electronic learning (ODeL) delivery systems and pedagogy for the implementation of ODeL;
- Providing academic leadership in the areas of teaching and learning materials development;
- Setting up the necessary structures that will ensure that the research and innovation in the Faculty is relevant and of high quality in line with the University’s research and innovation policy;
- Initiating and promoting ethically accountable research of quality and increasing research output including patents and copyrights;
- Establishing a sound culture of innovation and commercialisation in the Faculty;
- Promoting the University’s wide initiatives;
- Developing a sense of community for the Faculty students, academic and support staff;
- Mobilising resources for the Faculty and University;
- Marketing the Faculty nationally, regionally and internationally;
- Developing intra and inter Faculty interfaces to enable programme horizontal and vertical articulation to multi-skill students;
- Ensuring that Departments in the Faculty engage in research and community Engagement projects to contribute to new knowledge experience in the area of open and distance education and as part of service to the community;
- Creating and maintaining linkages and relationships with external stakeholders i.e. Industry and commerce, professional boards etc. for the benefit of students, staff and the University as a whole;
- Fostering and maintaining sound personal and professional relationships among the members of staff and between staff and clients;
- Periodic reporting on the activities of the Faculty as well as usage of facilities and financial resources; and
- Undertaking any other duties as directed by the Pro-Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs.
Qualifications And Experience
- An earned PhD from a reputable and accredited Higher Education Institution is a prerequisite;
- An earned Master’s Degree is a must;
- An attained level of Associate Professorship/Full Professorship would be an added advantage;
- Evidence of sound research and be published in his/her academic discipline substantively to at least the level of a Senior Lecturer;
- Being capable of giving sound academic direction to the Faculty;
- At least five (5) years working experience in an academic institution;
- Good knowledge and understanding of higher education system and policy environment;
- Experience in strategic planning, financial and human resources management, proven attributes of transparency, integrity and teamwork; and
- Knowledge and experience in open and distance learning will be an added advantage.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified persons should submit their applications consisting of the following documents: application letter, certified educational and professional certificates as well as transcripts and curriculum vitae with contact details (telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three (3) referees as follows:
- in PDF format as a single document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- as hard copies which consist of ten (10) sets of each of the above listed documents. All envelopes should clearly indicate the post being applied for.
Please note that, posts 1, 2 & 3 are a re-advertisement. Those who applied previously need not re-apply as they shall be considered. However, they can update their applications if they so wish.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Director, Human Resources
Zimbabwe Open University
P O Box MP 1119
Hand delivered to
Cnr. Machel Ave and L. Takawira St.
NB: Applications should be received not later than 14 August 2022.