Africa University is a Pan African, United Methodist-Related Institution in Zimbabwe that recruits students and staff from all over Africa. Applications are invited from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the position of the Dean, College Of Social Sciences, Theology, Humanities and Education (CSSTHE).
The Dean plays a pivotal role in the University's Senior Management structure, providing overall leadership and management functions, which includes administration and management of the College's finances. The Dean is also responsible for all College planning in specific areas of human resources, budgeting, academic programmes, innovation, research, College equipment and other College matters. The successful candidate will be appointed on a four year fixed term contract. The Dean shall be responsible to the Vice Chancellor.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership with a vision, academic excellence through University teaching, research, community engagement, innovation and industrialisation (Education 5.0) and insight for the College Of Social Sciences, Theology, Humanities and Education.
- Managing, monitoring, developing and evaluating academic programmes leading towards transformational review and renewal.
- Provide academic and administrative leadership to the College, including all College planning and budgeting.
- Implementing the policies and objectives of the University and the College through the development and delivery of sound and innovative programmes, the promotion of excellence in teaching and research for the College through partnerships and linkages with other Universities as well as other organisations.
- Provide leadership in coming up with specialized methods of effective online teaching for the different College disciplines.
- Developing a sense of community for the College, students and support staff.
- Developing collaborations and strategic partnerships with College alumni, institutions, corporations and government agencies in liaison with University administration.
- Implementing programmes and projects in accordance with the University administration
- Quality Assurance of the College activities.
- Fostering and maintaining a comprehensive and conducive learning environment in the College.
- Mobilising resources (human and financial) for the College.
- Participating where relevant in Academic Meetings such as Senate, College and Departmental Boards.
- Leading and Co-ordinating the governance of the College reflecting the interdisciplinary nature of academic programmes.
- Developing, leading and encouraging resource mobilisation in support of the College's goals.
- Performing such other functions as may be prescribed by the Vice Chancellor.
Qualifications And Experience
- A minimum qualification of a PhD in either in Social Sciences, Theology, Humanities, Education or any related area.
- An excellent academic record and be a scholar of note with credibility among his/her peers;
- Attainment of Professorship would be an added advantage.
- At least five years' experience in a University or College, administration as Dean of a College, Deputy Dean, Chairperson of a Department, Principal or Director in a University is required
- A strong track record in Teaching, Research, Community Engagement, Innovation and Resource Mobilisation.
- Demonstrable and proven leadership skills and experience of working with a broad range of relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrable and proven experience with managing diversity and thriving in an international and multicultural environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Applications together with six (6) copies (If application is in hard copy format) of Curriculum vitae, certified copies and certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to:
Assistant Registrar, Human Resources & Administration
P. 0. Box 1320
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.