The Consumer Protection Commission was established under the Consumer Protection Act Chapter 14:44 (No. 5 of 2019) which became Law on 10 December 2019. This Act repealed the Consumer Contract Act Chapter 8:03 and is administered by the Minister for Industry and Commerce. The Consumer Protection commission's core function is to "protect consumers horn unconscionable, unreasonable, unjust or otherwise improper trade practices, as well as deceptive, misleading, unfair or fraudulent conduct."
The Consumer Protection Commission (CPC) is now inviting suitably qualified and experienced individuals to apply for the above-mentioned position that has risen in the Commission.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Conducting physical visits to businesses on a routine basis or where there is reasonable suspicion of non-compliance with consumer rights laws
- Explain the purpose of the compliance visits and outline areas that may be of specific concern pertaining to non-compliance with consumer rights laws and regulations
- Collect information to evaluate whether the business is in compliance and write reports on details of the inspection
- Examine information which may be relevant to the inspection and enforcement of consumer rights;
- Produce materials (e.g., records, receipts) the inspectors believe may be relevant to the inspection processes;
Qualifications And Experience
- A relevant diploma or degree or in Economics; Risk Management, Law, Police and Security Studies, Stores Control or other Business-related field from a recognized institution
- At least 5 years' experience involving enforcement of consumer infringements
- At least 5 years' experience in a relevant job
- A record of success in previous jobs involving enforcement of compliance with laws and regulations
- Proficiency in computer applications
- Good communication skills
- Good report writing
- Results oriented
How To Apply
All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Complete application shall include:
- Application letter; Detailed CV; Copy of National Identification Card; Certified copies of Academic and Professional certificates; and Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail) of three (3) referees.
Deadline: 31 October 2022
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted (The Commission encourages applications from candidates that are multilingual and qualified experienced female applicants).