Bindura University of Science Education is seeking a Business Development Manager to work at the Institution’s Innovation Hub. The successful candidate will report to the Director, Research and Innovation, and shall be overally responsible for overseeing the development and operation of business ventures in the University’s Innovation Hub and Industrial Park. The University’s Innovation Hub seeks to be a catalyst for the provision of goods and services by unlocking Intellectual Property through commercialization of research and innovation outputs.
Duties And Responsibilities
The Business Development Manager shall mainly be responsible for:
- Working with students and staff to identify, develop and implement innovation projects that are consistent with the University’s ambition to produce goods and services for economic growth;
- Promoting and facilitating the identification, development and commercialization of intellectual property in the University;
- Coordinating incubation of innovations and spearheading the formation of start-up and spin-off companies.
- Assisting innovators in developing bankable business proposals based on a working prototype, thereby reducing market and technical uncertainty.
- Assisting in the development of key financial metrics to ensure sustainability of commercialized projects.
- Proactively developing, leading and supporting partnerships, programmes and projects in collaboration with business, industry and other third parties in support of the University’s strategic objectives for commercialization of research and innovation outputs.
- Identifying, building and maintaining sources of funding and venture capital.
- Facilitating training of key staff to enhance their skills and build confidence in business management.
- Coordinating activities that ramp up the fledgling businesses to a point where they can stand on their own, i.e., through building the businesses to levels of predictability in terms of sales and operations.
- Screening potential business deals, market analysis, deal requirements, evaluating options and resolving internal priorities, and recommending equity investments.
- Performing market research to identify new opportunities and engage with management to determine the most viable, cost-effective approaches to pursue new business opportunities.
- Providing regular strategic reports and recommendations detailing business performance and identified opportunities.
- Providing coherent, high quality and effective services to all key internal and external customers.
- Performing other related duties, as assigned by the Director Research and Innovation.
Qualifications And Experience
- A Masters degree and an Undergraduate degree from a recognized University/Institution in any of the following disciplines: Business Administration, Business Management, Marketing and Finance;
- A minimum of five (5) years’ post qualification working experience of which two (2) years’ must be in managing a business venture particularly in business development/sales/marketing.
Skills and Attributes
Ideally, the successful candidate should possess the following skills and attributes:
- Excellent business acumen;
- Highly developed communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Proven ability and intelligence to identify and analyse trends, issues and concepts in the business-technological space;
- Project business management skills particularly, the ability to follow multiple and multi-faceted business ideas and projects;
- Eagerness to find new business opportunities and a propensity to deep-diving into new domains and unknown territories;
- Ability to think and act strategically, balancing conflicting requirements and delivering high impact in line with university objectives;
- Ability to form excellent working relationships with academics, researchers and senior staff;
- Ability to manage failure and expectations;
- Good communication and ICT skills.
How To Apply
NB: Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Police clearance is mandatory for successful candidates.
Interested and qualified persons should send one set of their application merged in continuous pdf format to email@example.com consisting of the application letter, certified copies of educational certificates, transcripts, National ID, Birth Certificate and a Curriculum Vitae giving full personal details including full names, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, telephone number, present salary, date of availability, names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of at least three referees.
Applications should clearly indicate the “Post” which is being applied for in the subject line and addressed to:
The Assistant Registrar- Human Resources
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The closing date for the receipt ofapplications is Monday, 20 June 2022.