The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is an intergovernmental organization with more than 191 member nations. Since its inception in 1945, FAO has worked to alleviate poverty and hunger by promoting agricultural development, improved nutrition and the pursuit of food security. FAO operates at country, sub-regional and regional levels with its headquarters based in Rome.
Working under the responsibility of the FAO Representative in Zimbabwe and overall supervision of the International Administrative Officer, the incumbent will provide the following services:
General office maintenance and repairs
Duties And Responsibilities
Tasks and responsibilities
- Plan, coordinate and provide a full range of site maintenance and installation works to ensure preventive maintenance and installation for Generators, water heaters, etc is carried out regularly ensuring all equipment is functioning well.
- Attend to general repairs to the interior of the building
- Perform tasks such as painting walls, replacing light bulbs and assembling tables and desks.
- Install light bulbs, doors, cabinets and carpet
- Replace washers, faucets and seals on malfunctioning plumbing equipment, repairing leaky faucets and clean clogged drains, install and repair sprinklers.
- Perform minor welding services as needed
- Responsible for alerting the International Administrative Officer of any unusual occurrence and/or damage that may have taken place or that may occur.
- Assist in monitoring and reporting on all work being performed by outside contractors
- Monitors, reports and maintains all building systems as assigned.
- Undertake asset physical verification and stock taking periodically as requested by the supervisor.
- Install, maintain and repair all kinds of electrical equipment and appliances including wiring and distribution systems to ensure safe and sound reliable working environment in compliance with electrical standards
- Perform regular and ad hoc installations, repairs and maintenance of plumbing systems and components to ensure all installations meet safety standards
Qualifications And Experience
- Five Ordinary level passes and a Diploma with a minimum of 2 years Technical School training in the relevant area(s)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in general office maintenance, repairs, renovations, plumbing and/or carpentry.
- UN or International NGO experience is desirable
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English
- Zimbabwe National or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
- FAO Core Competencies
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Technical/Functional Skills
General and practical knowledge of the responsibilities involved in the position necessary.
Proven ability in Lifting (approximately 50 lbs), climbing (ladders, stairs, etc.), bending or stooping, extended periods of walking, regular exposure to weather conditions.
Ability to operate power/hand tools.