The Meteorological Services Department of Zimbabwe (MSD) has warned of heavy rains that are expected from Sunday 18 to Monday 19 December 2022.
In a statement seen by Pindula News, MSD said some areas will receive about 50mm of rainfall. Read part of the alert:
Moisture from the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) currently over Zambia, is expected to be drawn into the northern parts of the country on Sunday 18 December. This coupled with the cloud band currently over the country (which drifted in from Botswana) should result in heavy rains in areas to such as Mashonaland Central and northern districts of Mashonaland East. Other areas have a reduced probability (30%) of sharp downpours. This is normal for this time of the year, especially in a season which is expected to have above-normal to normal rains (see insert small map, with long-term mean for December-February).
• WHAT?: MOISTURE FROM THE INTER-TROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE
• WHERE?: MAINLY MASH CENTRAL & NORTHERN DISTRICTS OF MASH EAST
• WHEN?: SUNDAY 18 TO MONDAY 19 DECEMBER 2022
• WATCH OUT FOR: VERY LOCALIZED HEAVY RAINS (IN EXCESS OF 50 mm) & MINOR FLASH FLOODING IN AREAS WITH SATURATED SOILS, IMPERVIOUS GROUNDS, WETLANDS & ALONG RIVER BASINS.
BLOWN OFF ROOFTOPS & FALLEN TREES DUE TO STRONG WINDS. OPEN DRAINS AND POTHOLES THAT MAY BE COVERED IN WATER
• WHAT TO DO: STAY INDOORS DURING THUNDERSTORMS UNLESS IF IT IS AN EMERGENCY RAIN MAY AFFECT OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES: PLANS WITH WEATHER IN MIND, IF TRAVEL IS NECESSARY, PLEASE TAKE CAUTION ON THE ROADS AS VISIBILITY MAY BE REDUCED AND THERE MAY BE HIDDEN FLOOD DANGERS DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS FLOODED RIVERS [ON FOOT OR IN VEHICLES]
*CLOUD BANDS CHANGE THUS OFFICIAL WEATHER UPDATES WILL BE AVAILED THROUGH THESE MSD PLATFORMS
• WARNING LEVEL: 1