A Harare gardener who stole US$38 000 and 2 000 British pounds from his employer and built himself a lavish rural home has been jailed for seven years.
Gift Nyamayevhu (27) was convicted by Harare magistrate Babra Mateko after pleading guilty to the offence.
He was jointly charged with his relative, Elizabeth Nyamayevhu, who denied the allegations.
Nyamayevhu also admitted buying a farm in Mhondoro, where his rural home is located.
- i). The boss and complainant is Gerald Nyoni, a doctor stationed at Parirenyatwa Hospital.
- ii). Nyamayevhu worked and stayed at the doctor’s Strathaven home since 2019. He stayed with his family.
- iii). Nyamayevhu stole Nyoni’s bedroom keys which were hidden in the sitting room and took US$38 000 and 2 000 British Pounds from a safe. The doctor was abroad.
- iv). Nyamayevhu replaced US$6 900 with fake notes in 100-dollar denominations.
- v). On April 24, 2022, Nyoni unlocked his safe and took the money for banking and discovered while in the banking hall that he had US$26 900 instead of US$58 000 and that some notes were fake.
- vi). Investigations were made leading to Nyamayevhu’s arrest. He implicated his relative.
- vii). Police discovered several items belonging to Nyoni at his rural home.