A Dynamos Football Club faction consisting of former club players and legends led by Ernest Kamba has rejected mediation efforts by the club’s principal sponsors Sakunda Holdings to resolve the long-standing ownership and shareholder dispute with board chairman Bernard Marriot Lusengo.
Sakunda Holdings, who are sponsoring Dynamos to the tune of close to US$1 million per season, last week approached Marriot and Kamba in a bid to bring them to the negotiating table and resolving the issues “amicably”.
The Dynamos ownership wrangel is currently being handled at the Harare Magistrate Courts.
Speaking to The Herald on Wednesday, Kamba said they were not prepared to take up the offer for mediation proposed by Sakunda Holdings. He said:
Of course I received that letter which spoke about issues to do with Dynamos ownership and shareholding.
Unfortunately, we are not going to do anything about that (letter) because the Dynamos constitution is very clear on the shareholding.
There is also the Justice Malaba Judgement of 2006 which pointed us back to the 1963 constitution.
The constitution spells out clearly who owns Dynamos and the shareholding structure is explained in unambiguous terms.
Kamba was elected chairman of a 10-member board of trustees that also has Sunday Chidzambwa, Eric Aisam, Cremio Mapfumo, David George, Moses Chunga, Clayton Munemo, Labani Kandi, Makwinji Soma-Phiri and Gina Kapfunde.
The group of former players have challenged Marriot’s claim of 51 percent shareholding in Dynamos.
Meanwhile, Marriot has long held that Dynamos ceased to be a community club via a resolution passed during the 1998 AGM.
Marriot maintains that things changed in 1999 when the original founding fathers, including him, registered a private company which now controls the club.
As the sole surviving members of Dynamos Football Club founders, Marriot has been chairman of the company’s board for the past few years.